crazy fun

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdbrain2, Feb 13, 2009.

1. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    went to get some meal worms at store but they were out so i bought some baby crickets. is was like giving a limited amount of crack to a bunch of addicts. they were absolutely hilarious. i was hoping to get a few minuets of entertainment, was more like a 3 second blur. maybe next time i will get larger crickets. i also bought some parakeet grit, but was hi calcium so decided not to use it. instead i got some dirty old sand. first i microwaved it to sterilize it and put a little in there feed.

and yes i will keep treats to minimum

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're so funny with the crickets. I actually volunteer to mow the lawn in the summer, just to get my chickens a bounty of bugs. Oh the things us humans do for those greedy little feathered pigs.

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Isn't it funny to give them treats, I used to pick up worms from the driveway and watch them run around the brooder with them! [​IMG] They can't seem to eat and run at the same time and the treat always gets stolen! [​IMG]

4. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    I have to ask: How did you get the bugs by mowing the lawn? [​IMG]

Did you bag it then pick them out? Or did you have the chicks follow behind in your wake like the gulls do when the farmers plow in the Spring? [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I remember when every chick i had in the brooder last year had a meal worm and they were still running around trying to keep them away and steal from each other. The term chicken crack is soooo true.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:When I was mowing the back yard I just took a plastic magarine bowl with me and grabbed the crickets that would pop up when the mower got close. We are usually overrun with crickets in the summertime.
    Note: It takes at least twice as long to mow the grass and catch crickets at the same time.

7. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    You should see our whole family out catching cricket for our chickens. We do love those birds! [​IMG]

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Last year my husband was very sick with the flu when we got our chicks and ducks. Still he'd go down with a container of meal worms and sit bundled up in blankets for an hour blowing his nose, coughing and feeding them treats.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I found your post AFTER I had given my 2 1/2 day old chicks some crickets (I have bearded dragons that I buy them for so I thought I'd give a handful to the chicks).

I tossed in a handful thinking they gobble them right up, but I guess its hard for chicks to eat and run at the same time. Every chick that had a cricket had at least 5 or 6 others running after it trying to nab the cricket in its beak from it. I think because of the size of the crickets (mediums) it took at least a minute for the dust to settle. My chicks had never had live insects before, but I guess God has programmed them with what they needed to know. They sure went crazy!!

I'm really looking forward to watching them 'graze' and catch bugs when they are older.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by