Crazy Idea for run covering. Do you think it'll work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Alright. So we have a 7'x40' run attached to the side of our coop [​IMG] (DF went a little overboard) And I've been thinking about winter and what's going to happen when we get our trademark PA Mountain snow. [​IMG] Our run is completely enclosed with heavy duty welded wire on the side and chicken wire on top. It's got posts about every 5 feet that make an upside down U shape so everything is really attached. So I'm thinking, how would enclosing part of the run, maybe a 7'x 10' area coming directly out from the house work if I used the plastic used for greenhouses? A lot of people in this area have it on craigslist for cheap or free. If I could cover the sides, the build a little "removable wall" on the inside of the run and cover that too. That would keep the snow and wind out, it would give the chickens a place to go outside and scratch AND I'm thinking if I get some higher rated R value, it will generate quite a bit of heat inside the enclosed part that will then go into the pop door and keep the coop warm...
    Has anyone tried this? Or can anyone see any big problems with my idea? THanks!!!

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use my green house as a brooder and my guineas roost in it at night,very hot in the summer and gets pretty warm in the sunshine so it is great as far as a heat source goes.

We had snow this year that rarely happens but my chicks did fine in the greenhouse with just a heat lamp.

I say go for it,see how it works for you in your area,you can always recycle it if it does not work out.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Sounds good to me. I have a run that sounds a bit like yours (4' X 40', rounded top--see my BYC page). I finished the run during the last spat of wet wintry weather last spring and I covered one end in plastic to test this idea out and it seemed to work great. Not that we really need heat here where I live, but it warmed the area under it very well and kept it dry.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The roof would have to be structurally sound enough to withstand the snow load. It's pretty amazing how heavy wet snow is!

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Sounds good to me. I don't think u'd have a problem with the snow with ur rounded roof.

6. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:Yeah! We know all too well about that up here. Our 200 year old house's roof collapsed four years ago without warning during that freak valentine's day blizzard! We had to move out in the middle of February until we could get a new place to live! So My dear Dad made sure to make the top on our run with a slope!

7. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    My run is a secure hardware wire sides with a solid roof...I used plastic sheeting last winter over the wire on all but their door to the run...It worked great and they spent most of the day in the run...It blocked the wind and still let light in for them...I did secure the plastic sheeting with 2x4's screwed to my frame over the plastic...That helped keep the wind from ripping it off!....I will be doing this again this year!

~Laura

8. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:WOWSERS!!! WHAT A GREAT COOP SET UP. Love it. If you haven't already submitted it for the coop contest (I haven't read that whole thread in awhile) you should definitely do it!

9. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    sixlittlechicks,

I have two main runs that are wired completely (walls, floor and roof) with the opaque white rolly kinda plastic "sheets' similiar to what they used to use in the old greenhouses. Anyhoo, they work great for snow load. All the roofs are peaked too. During the winter, I "wrap" the run walls with plain old plastic sheeting to give the chickens/ducks extra space beyond just their house. You're right, it gives them more area to scratch and protects them from the snow/rain during the winter months.

But man oh man, once spring comes they are READY to get out of it into the yard again [​IMG]

10. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Thanks for everyone's input! I'm super excited that this is probably going to work [​IMG] On to more craigslisting! Hopefully a truck cap chicken tractor up next!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by