Crazy Mixed Mutt Hatch-Along. Care to join me?

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
On June 1st, we'll be setting 2 dozen mutt chicken eggs to hatch. With all the hatches we've done, we seem to have better hatch rates with mixed breeds than we're getting with purebreds. Soooo... I thought I'd like to see if anyone out there would like to hatch along with us while we continue to generate mixed breeds!

I know purists will scoff... go ahead, scoff.

There are a lot of us on here that have a real love for mixed breed chickens. We get great hybrid vigor with mutts, and we're trying to expand our laying flock.

I have a dozen eggs from our flock (mottled java roo over 4 different hens) and a dozen eggs from gryeyes' flock (heaven only knows who laid them and who the daddies are).

I would set more than 2 dozen if I could get my hands on another half dozen or so. Maybe I'll toodle down the hill ... they have fertile eggs in the grocery store at SaveMart in Placerville.

Last edited:
I am setting 24 eggs tonight Of those 16 are pure Blue and Blue Splash Marans, 8 will be crossbreeds between a Blue Splash Marans rooster and two White Rock hens.
Here's some pictures of the parents. Should be interesting.

Dad:
77123_daddy.jpg

Moms:
77123_dsc_0583.jpg

big_smile.png

We've set and raised some really off-the-wall mutts now and then; currently our flock includes a roo (sire, golden-laced Polish; dam, millefleur d'Uccle), a blind white hen (sire, white Silky; dam, millefleur d'Uccle), a crested hen (sire, EE; dam, buff Silky), a blue hen (sire, blue Andalusian; dam, EE), and some month-old chicks that are by our blue Andalusian rooster out of a barred Rock hen. None of these matches were planned--the hazards of a flock composed of grab-bag day at the local feed store!
lol.png
We also have a roo of local feral stock; Heaven only knows what went into his mix.

I am very fond of our little mutts; apart from hybrid vigor, their personalities are quite interesting. Our blind hen, Sonar, is a particular pet (you would not believe what I had to go through to teach that baby to eat!), has her own hutch in the barn, and sleeps in the laundry room at night. The blue hen Shoe is one of our very best layers, and at six years old is one of our oldest birds and going strong. Donna King, the crested hen, is a complete character, busybody, gossip columnist, and Local Prophet of Doom all in one. The Polish/d'Uccle roo is Hoppy, our rooster-in-a-wheelchair. Quercus the Feral Boy was raised as an orphan, and is very tame indeed; he also has a cast-iron immune system. And one of the Andy/Rock kids is shaping up to be a lap rooster: he has adopted me as Auntie and if he can't find his mother, he comes running, big yellow feet churning the dust.

Back
Top Bottom