Crazy neighbors, chicken attacked, now I'm fixing her.

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
We have some really crappy neighbors. One has abandoned his chickens, looks like a couple of RR and cuckoo Marans (white legs) and some roosters. The birds have been crossing the fence into my inlaws yard and then into my yard. We have been feeding them.

The other neighbor decided some large puppies should be let loose for awhile. Well I came home yesterday and Abuelo (my husband's grandfather) had a dead Maran in his hands and said the dogs just killed him for the joy of it.

They also killed a RR.

Well another Maran showed up limping. I managed to catch her this morning (got my lab to bark and stare her down until she came out from under the porch).

Under her wing the feathers are gone and there are several gashes going through the skin. It looks bad, but to me it doesn't look like it will kill her. At least, if she's not left out there.

I wiped down the wound and put a bunch of antibacterial cream on it. I put her in a nest box on the ground in the run with my silkies. I'm hoping she doesn't attack them.

I brought her out some grapes and she devoured those and devoured a bit of food covered in yogurt.

Is there anything else I could do for her?

A side note: When I was holding her, at one point she started drooling HEAVILY.

Nice of you to try to do something for her.
I think I would get her away from your other chickens. There's a chance she my have some illness that could be passed to your chickens.
Your silkies could also pick on her because she's injured. I'd move her somewhere warm & quiet.
She's probably in shock and would benefit from electrolytes.....Avia Charge is good, but Tractor Supply sells Electrolytes for poultry. Make sure she is drinking water.
After that all you can really do is keep her wounds clean and hope she pulls through.....

Sorry don't know how to help your injured chicken...I would do what the above posted mentioned as well as to what you are doing now.

And, if the dogs are on your property and are killing your "new birds", you have a right to protect your livestock. Call the police, file a report, press charges on the neighbors, and if the dog comes back, shoot it. Maybe not to kill, it that's not your thing, than shoot it to harm it, and call the police again. If these puppies will kill your new birds, than they will kill your silkies too eventually.

These neighbors of yours need to be held responsible.

JMO
~Caran

Edited for spelling errors!

Last edited:
:eek:
You can give aspirin for pain, but I can't remember how much....search for aspirin on here. I am about to go into a meeting or I would look it up for you!

~Rebecca

Yes, we've already gone to the neighbors and told him and he says he'll keep them chained. My husband and my father in law are both going to be on the watch with guns in hand.

I've already gone to work and left the bird with the other ones. They've been free ranging on the same area of land (I let the Silkies out for about an hour a day, while I watch) and they haven't caught anything from each other, so hopefully everything should be fine.

I have two adult silkies in the pen, one is broody and won't be leaving her nest, the other one doesn't harrass anyone, unless it's me with grapes. I'm more worried about the maran going crazy and going after MY birds.

There's water in the pen and I put the food in the box with her, so hopefully everything will be ok until I get home.

Husband just called.

Said that she is moving around in the pen but when he got close she ran into the box with my broody hen. So he pulled her out of there and put the broody hen's box higher.

He said that he looked at her worms and saw what appeared to be bubbling. He said when he looked closer it looked like a little maggot was trying to get in.

Sooooo, I'm hoping a little peroxide is going to help?

Quote:
Don't worry about the drooling, one of ours toss cookies everytime we pick them up (I think it is from stress) it is gross but there ya go.

I had the same thing happen only it was my own sweet....stinking dog doing the attacking. I sewed her up myself, did not seem to hurt her. I would perroxide the wound and then slather on some antibiotic cream. keep her in the house in a dog box or rubbermaid container (AWAY FROM THE FLIES) if at all possible! Ours survived the attack and only has minor wounds on her wing. everything else healed great and she is still flying about the coop and all over the yard.

Back
Top Bottom