Crazy or not crazy...that is the question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RachelVT, May 13, 2010.

1. RachelVT

RachelVT Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    I'm getting 5 chicks at the end of may, but I'm afraid that some might die since I've heard it's not uncommon. I was thinking of hunting down a couple to get now in case, is that crazy? Also I'm getting impatient, anyone in northern VT who wants to unload a couple chicks to shut me up and get me going? [​IMG] Or should I just sit tight and wait?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Crazy, no way! Thats how we all get addicted!!! [​IMG] Just enjoy them!! [​IMG]

3. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Surely not crazy [​IMG] sounds natural to me [​IMG]

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in central vermont with WAY too many chicks!!! 4 sex links, 4 egyptian fayoumi and a bunch of BR roos. (all 4-6 weeks old and doing wonderfully) Organic feed.

5. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    You're not crazy at all! Well... not any more crazy than the rest of us [​IMG]

I could give you some of my 3-wk old chicks, but then you wouldn't get the fun of watching them grow from day 1. Plus then when you get your babies in a couple weeks, you'll have huge age/size differences to deal with.

So in summation: chicks are adorable and fun and addictive and amazing, and you should wait a bit longer to join the craziness!

6. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    I was very impatient, unfortunately for me... a couple TSC's were having their "Chick Days" still- and I couldn't resist! I started with 5, and ordered a few more to come in June... and in the meantime I ended picking up 16 unexpected extras! Plus a pair of Serama's, and a few chicks (that was my fiance's doing though!). lol. Oh, and we just had our first egg hatch- a beautiful little silkie! Its very addicting!!

P.S.
    I bought so many as I was afraid of losing some from all the stories I've heard... *knock on wood* we haven't yet! I also figured half would be roo's so I bought extras to account for roo's I'd have to rehome!

7. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG] I would wait, we didn't loose any this year. Got them from Mcmurrys. Course you can always use more! [​IMG] My DH is getting nervous I ordered 27, 21 were for my daughter, but they are 6weeks old and she still hasn't come to get them. I think he is afraid I will get attached and not want to let them go. I don't know where he would get an idea like that. [​IMG]

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

TSC is how I ended up with extra sex links! I just couldn't wait the 2 weeks for my Ideal order to come in... i had to have them NOW!!! And now I'm realizing that i don't have room for 6 extra sex links, or the fayoumis I ordered for someone else (who backed out), or the surprise BR roos that came with my turkeys! YIKES!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by