Crazy Roo but only during the morning? Is this normal?

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
I have a 7month old silkie and his sister (or maybe brother I couldn’t really tell you) who are bonded to each other and aren’t blood related so before anyone asks haha. Whenever I let them out of their run my roo gets SUPER frisky and crazy and tries to relentlessly mount my other silkie for ten minutes every single morning. My other silkie just runs away confused and screaming because my roo likes to bite her wing feathers to try and stop her from running. I also don’t even think she’s at that age of maturity. He is yet to be successful in mounting her but either way it’s pretty distressing watching him chase my baby!

I’ve never had a roo so I don’t know if this is exactly normal for it to go on for SO long and I know sometimes I’m not supposed to break up things like pecking order fights and so forth. Is this normal roo behavior? Do I break them apart if this happens?

It's fairly normal cockerel/rooster behavior early in the morning. It sounds as if he is going to need several more hens so that the one does not get overmated/abused.

It's fairly normal cockerel/rooster behavior early in the morning. It sounds as if he is going to need several more hens so that the one does not get overmated/abused.
That’s the thing I have a flock of 6 but he only goes after his sister :( !! I’m sure he just favors her because he’s scared of all the other hens. He’s pretty low in the pecking order

Back
Top Bottom