Crazy scenario....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CowgirlPenny, Jul 21, 2011.

1. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Ok.

Had 12 hens in a coop together with 1 rooster.

They lay 2 or 3 a day. Some are more ready than others I guess. They are almost 19wks

Tue/Yesterday we attempted to add 2 (17wk) old BO's and 1 (17wk) old EE into the clan.

Did NOT go well. After 18 hours(one evening and then overnight into the morning Wed), one chicken with a bleeding earlobe and constant fights, we removed the three around 5pm yesterday.

But yesterday, the day that the original 12 were there with the 3 new girls...we got FIVE eggs instead of the usual 2. Coincidence?

Today, the 12 girls coop laid the same 3 as always.

The BO and EE were moved back to the teenager coop where I have never found an egg. Will they lay regardless? I mean I assume that they can't just hold it in because there are no nestboxes or other desirable places to lay in that coop (it's not meant for hens, just pullets)

I want to get them back in the big coop for good this week but until I find a way to blend them, should I add a nestbox to the little coop just incase? I mean age wise they COULD have been the ones to lay yesterday. They did hide in a nestbox a lot yesterday from the hens.

2. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    It couldn't hurt if you have a 5 gallon bucket lying around or a plastic milk crate put it on its side with some bedding and they will use it if they are laying. I used a 5 gallon bucket in my temporary coop and just put it up against a wall and and cinder block on the other side to keep it from rolling while they were using it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by