Crazy weather making me turn on incubator...

mothergoose

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Chebanse, Illinois
We live in North Central Illinois and the weather has been unseasonably warm. Not that I am complaining but some of our birds that normally are not laying now are slightly confused. Our black wing bronze turkeys are laying. So I am setting 2 dozen turkey eggs, 13 call duck eggs, and 102 button quail eggs tonight and will set the chicken eggs that we are getting next week so they will hatch with the turkey and duck eggs.
Anyone else setting eggs now?

Yes it is unseasonably warm. I had planted lots of forage over the last month.
However, do you ever check the long range forecast? It will be getting cold by the end of next week. Winter is here.

Yup have hatches in the next few days. I chose to do the same and take advantage of this awesome weather. I'm not worried about the forecast as I can keep mine in the garage under heat for weeks if necessary. And you can always provide a heat lamp in the coop for them once 12 weeks

I'm with you, though I don't have that many eggs going (and I always do winter hatches even though I say I'm not going to :oops: ). I have 15 Silkie/Sizzle eggs due to hatch on the 1st, another 19 due on the 11th and an egg carton filling up on my kitchen counter that I'm still undecided about.

I knew I wasn't alone! I love hatching, i just wish we had more space for brooding during the winter. We heat our outbuildings but most of the space is occupied by our breeders. I should have asked Santa for a chick building! Good luck with your hatches everyone.

Back
Top Bottom