CRD Chicken, bitter cold, what should we do?

Lnzsmith

Songster
5 Years
Nov 14, 2017
Central Missouri
The good news is our Lavender is responding to the denagard treatment and seems less ill. She has been out with her friends during the day but we crate her overnight and she is drinking from the dedicated, treated water and I think getting a good enough dose to abate the CRD (yes I know it's chronic, we have a closed flock of 3). However, our Wyandotte is struggling. I want to bring her in too, but that leave the Australorp outside at night. AND it is supposed to be in the teens over the next seven days, with lows below 0. We could put the lavender out and bring the wyandotte in, but I'd like to give the Lav a couple more nights of treatment, which means she would be back out right when the weather turns super cold. The basement room she is in isn't warm, but it's not outside temps.
But the Wyandotte clearly needs more aggressive treatment. And I think she would do better with Lav in same room as she is a little bit wild herself and might be very stressed without her friends.
What to do? We can't really bring the Australorp in, she is super super wild.

I would bring the Australorp in right at bed time and turn out the light. When she wakes up she's with her friends. If you need to catch her to take her back outside, turn out the light in the room and throw a towel over her to take her back out.

We brought everybody in. Everybody has denagard in their water, they are in a couple big crates in the basement. This is going to be a weird week. Typically in a cold snap like this they don't even leave their coop during the day, but I don't think they are going to want to stay in the basement.

We brought everybody in. Everybody has denagard in their water, they are in a couple big crates in the basement. This is going to be a weird week. Typically in a cold snap like this they don't even leave their coop during the day, but I don't think they are going to want to stay in the basement.
Make sure to administer Vitamin D3 and some grated carrots with germ oil for Vitamin A to replace the lack of natural light and strengthen their mucous membranes.

Make sure to administer Vitamin D3 and some grated carrots with germ oil for Vitamin A to replace the lack of natural light and strengthen their mucous membranes.
How? I have some D drops, just add to the water? Hadn't thought of that. I assume during the day we'll still put them out, although maybe not on the most bitter days. (I am keeping the window in the basement cracked because I know they will be hot even in our mostly unheated basement).

How? I have some D drops, just add to the water? Hadn't thought of that. I assume during the day we'll still put them out, although maybe not on the most bitter days. (I am keeping the window in the basement cracked because I know they will be hot even in our mostly unheated basement).
Drops are oily and would just stick to the walls of the bowl or waterer. Better add to the grated carrots and germ oil and mix it thoroughly before serving.

ETA:
Just once a week, as with both Vitamins overdosing will be harmful.

Back
Top Bottom