Cream Legbar Cockerel Advice

mockingbird

Chirping
Feb 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
I currently have 5 cream legbar cckerels, but I intend to keep only 3 for breeding. If you have experience with this breed, I would greatly appreciate any comments/advice you may share on the photos below. Which in your opinion would be my best three and why? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

That's what I was gonna post.
How old are they?
I know when I'm raised them it took a while to get good color but most of yours look to be really lacking in their pattern.

They are 18 weeks. This is why I am posting- to get some honest appraisals. I appreciate your input. I am new to the breed and not sure exactly what I am looking at. If none are breeding material I am not opposed to buying some better ones next season.

Could you also post pics of your breeding pullets and hens? That may help narrow down which boy has the best features to pair with your girls.
#3, 4, and 5 have the best coloring and build over all. But none are outstanding. A good Cream Legbar should have the build of a Leghorn, with coloring similar to a washed out looking Bielefelder due to the cream dilute gene.

@ChicKat what do you think?
:oops: Hi Brahma Chicken5000 -
guess I have to say that I've moved away from Cream Legbars to what CJ Waldon is calling "Opal Legbars" -- IMO they are prettier, and there is zero confusion about what is the 'correct' coloration. Hers retain crests and for mine I'm abandoning the crests to get straight combs...so I won't make comments on the poster's birds.

:oops: Hi Brahma Chicken5000 -
guess I have to say that I've moved away from Cream Legbars to what CJ Waldon is calling "Opal Legbars" -- IMO they are prettier, and there is zero confusion about what is the 'correct' coloration. Hers retain crests and for mine I'm abandoning the crests to get straight combs...so I won't make comments on the poster's birds.
Sorry I thought you might be able to help because of your breeding project.

Back
Top Bottom