Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Pics
I think I'm out of the Cream Legbar business. :-(

A hawk got my non-gold Cream Legbar pullet today (Christmas. Thanks, hawk.) This is my first chicken loss to a predator. Hawks have already hit four of my chickens, including my Cream Legbar cockerel, but only caused minimal damage those times. I guess it has refined its technique.

Joan was such a nice hen. She was quiet and shy, but had enough gumption not to get picked on. She wasn't a cuddly bird (only one of mine is -- a Silky) but I loved her nonetheless. She was just about ready to lay, getting a redder comb and investigating the nest boxes. Poor baby. :-(

I'm down to one cockerel and one pullet. I love them both dearly, but had been counting on Joan, who was the only one of the three who had good silver (cream) coloring. James is exceedingly colorful, lots of chestnut and red, and has a right-angle comb. I think he's gorgeous, but the standard doesn't agree. Jett, the remaining pullet, is very gold.

I don't think I can manage a breeding program with only two birds and a very determined hawk (and a recession-affected bottom line). That hawk got through fishing line strung at 2-inch intervals across the entire chicken yard. Rats.

Please keep my membership dues for the club. I'll miss you all.
I'm so sorry to hear this. It is devistating in more ways than one. What a sad thing.

Oh normanack that is so disheartening. I totally understand your pain. Don't give up yet.

I have to cull some boys at some point. I've never shipped a bird but I am NPIP and maybe I could give it a try.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. We were having a property issue with a bully of a neighbor that has been found in our favor so the New Year looks to be a great one!

I'm so sorry to read this! Cream Legbars seem to be hawk-bait for sure. :( The fact that a hawk got her with such closely spaced fishing line makes me scared. My fishing line is about 6" apart; I may have to re-think the area I will be keeping my Legbars in.

Don't give up on CLs! Do you hatch? I'm sure someone in the club would send you eggs. (I would for sure, but my Legbars aren't even hatching eggs themselves yet. :p ) And I'm trying to remember who is getting rid of extra cockerels...

I'm still a very inexperienced chicken-keeper, but I'd advise you to look into something other than fishing line -- it was a big hawk and it had no problem swooping through the tiny gap -- I saw it fly out. No clue how, but maybe hawks are a lot smaller under their feathers than one would think. And fishing line has some give to it.

I'm still a very inexperienced chicken-keeper, but I'd advise you to look into something other than fishing line -- it was a big hawk and it had no problem swooping through the tiny gap -- I saw it fly out. No clue how, but maybe hawks are a lot smaller under their feathers than one would think. And fishing line has some give to it.
I have some heavy-duty game bird netting that I was planning on using over the top of the run, but the fishing line was working fine and I got lazy.... I'll definitely break it out for the CL's pen when we build it.

I have some heavy-duty game bird netting that I was planning on using over the top of the run, but the fishing line was working fine and I got lazy.... I'll definitely break it out for the CL's pen when we build it.
Yup, we're looking into some sort of netting. Anyone have a source for large pieces at a reasonable price?

Yup, we're looking into some sort of netting. Anyone have a source for large pieces at a reasonable price?

It was pretty pricey, but I bought a huge roll of good quality stuff from Randall Burkey. I'd love to know if there is anyone who sells it at a discount.

I think I'm out of the Cream Legbar business. :-(

A hawk got my non-gold Cream Legbar pullet today (Christmas. Thanks, hawk.) This is my first chicken loss to a predator. Hawks have already hit four of my chickens, including my Cream Legbar cockerel, but only caused minimal damage those times. I guess it has refined its technique.

Joan was such a nice hen. She was quiet and shy, but had enough gumption not to get picked on. She wasn't a cuddly bird (only one of mine is -- a Silky) but I loved her nonetheless. She was just about ready to lay, getting a redder comb and investigating the nest boxes. Poor baby. :-(

I'm down to one cockerel and one pullet. I love them both dearly, but had been counting on Joan, who was the only one of the three who had good silver (cream) coloring. James is exceedingly colorful, lots of chestnut and red, and has a right-angle comb. I think he's gorgeous, but the standard doesn't agree. Jett, the remaining pullet, is very gold.

I don't think I can manage a breeding program with only two birds and a very determined hawk (and a recession-affected bottom line). That hawk got through fishing line strung at 2-inch intervals across the entire chicken yard. Rats.

Please keep my membership dues for the club. I'll miss you all.

Yep...we need you. You have been working really hard to protect your chickens. It is so disheartening when you can't keep them safe. We understand that your first priority is to providing for your own flock. They say the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, but we have really valued your contributions to establishing the Cream Legbars and hope you will keep in contact and continue your participation with the Cream Legbar Club.

Last edited:
Wow, Normanack. Sorry for your loss. A friend a half mile away has high predation, so far rare here. In February, if you want fertile hatching eggs, just contact me. However, it seems like you have some other great offers in your backyard!

The struggle with what to do with being involved with CLs seems pervasive. Seems like many of us are keeping smaller flocks. My adults are two males, seven females. I have another three juvenile girls and six juvenile boys. Since it's possible to increase numbers in the Spring, anybody want to help me think about how to do it wisely?

I can breed those females that are more cream in their hackles (3 adults, 2 juveniles), I feel like this is the fastest method to ensure a better cream male for me. In terms of shape, some have suggested move there first. Of my current males, both not cream colored, one is bigger bodied and lower in tail, however the higher tailed has a slightly nicer head and neck (more refined in my thought). Neither transition well from body to tail. Between my males it's a toss up. Maybe one of the juveniles will better satisfy.

If someone here is looking at the British standard for type, I think the tail angle and transition from body to tail might be something to focus in on. I'm wondering do others take this as a key first trait for decision making on quality for form. Should I key in on one thing or the whole picture?

Right now since the boys are young, I guess I will start evaluating for the best female tail, best female color, and the best of the two attributes, hopefully this gives me one or two better females.

In late Winter (Feb/March) I want to utilize trap nesting boxes for a bit to see who are my best egg layers and how the size and color is for each. Not sure how the egg production will overlap with bird quality. Hopefully it does. Imagine I might do a change around for breeding. Looking forward to a Spring of projects and evaluation.

Joy to you and yours!

Back
Top Bottom