Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

What does well defined in outline mean?

w.

If referencing the breast on both the male and female: This was a carry over from the British Standard. Both breast areas are meant to be an area of color contrasting the sides of the neck and body, and since there is no shading it is explained as "well defined in outline". The breast of the female is salmon and carries up to the neck, that of the male is dark barred gray.

That's because the Standard lists shafting under general defects. So unless you say it is permissible or required it will be marked down. Just an FYI for you guys. I'm rooting for quick acceptance and am trying hard to get some stock, so I do not have first hand experience to know if shafting is an issue in Cream Legbars but after showing for 20 years and many breeds where it IS an issue from both sides of the fence (some breeds where it is a fault and some where it is required), you do need to be aware of it and address it. If its a truly difficult goal to obtain but is doable great. If its impossible to get proper coloring without shafting then you need to specifically note it as permissible otherwise the Cream Legbar will always be fighting uphill past the breed level.
Hi BGMatt,

so great to hear about your interest in CLs. From what I understand the window of being able to seek APA acceptance requires that the breed has been breeding true for 5-years. Although it dates back to the 1930's in the UK....Greenfire Farms only imported to the USA in 2010 or 2011. So since it was 2012 before very many people had them, it's going to be 2017 before the APA can even be approached. Thus - the need for scrutiny - like this shafting question - as the draft SOP gets refined to reflect the Cream Legbar in the USA. The breed needs people to give it support, education about the merits, publicity so the breed becomes well known etc. (insert recruiting advertisement for Cream Legbar Club membership here) -- people who want to do this are being asked to join up

https://sites.google.com/site/creamlegbarclublaunch/how-do-i-join

old.gif

There will need to be some shows and judges will determine how close the breed is to being ready .... there is an exciting time ahead. Hoping maybe we can organize some things in 2014. Any thoughts from the BYC world on this....show expertise people, anyone?

To members of the Cream Legbar Club...
Speaking of 2014 -- if you read this and you're a Cream Legbar Club member...please complete that short survey you were emailed about - it is a way to evaluate the things done to date...and a place for you to indicate what you would like to see in the future. It will carry a lot of weight - and help shape the 2014 programs and activity. There are two membership levels for the club - one is the -- 'just want to keep in touch, stay informed and not pay dues' - 'associate member' - and the other one is for 'roll up those sleeves and get in and hands on'; 'full member' -- Full members can vote on Club busness, and have contact information in the Club directory. I also know a 'just keep me up-to-date' member who wants to support the club financially and paid dues to help the treasury for club expenses. Completing the survey is a way to be heard.... democracy in action. It's easy, it's interesting, it's in your email. !!

Well by quick acceptance I mean no issues and that it actually gets done. There's varieties out there that have been around for long periods of time and never got recognized.

Well by quick acceptance I mean no issues and that it actually gets done. There's varieties out there that have been around for long periods of time and never got recognized.
Oh - thanks for the clarification. -- I can think of some that will be great when accepted -- but have a bit of a way to go.

It does take some hard work and dedication to hammer out just the draft SOP -- and ahead lies all the other things that are required for acceptance. Thanks again to the group who did it -- and the ones who brought it over the finish line Redchicken9 and KPenley. Lots of work went into getting your results - and we do appreciate it.

If referencing the breast on both the male and female: This was a carry over from the British Standard. Both breast areas are meant to be an area of color contrasting the sides of the neck and body, and since there is no shading it is explained as "well defined in outline". The breast of the female is salmon and carries up to the neck, that of the male is dark barred gray.
is it an even salmon? Or is there a pattern in the salmon?

Bumping these photos up (which are shared in this thread for the SOP discussions with permission from owner Amanda Rowe):
This is show-winning stock from the UK.

In this lighting the chest of the back hen almost has lacing AND faint shafting to my eye?

Last edited:
there's no really clear shot of the hens' breast on those, but from what I see, there appears to be the same "shafting" we were discussing in the Welsummer group. Its very visible in the background hen in the next to last picture. Just a thin cream colored line going down each feather on the chest

there's no really clear shot of the hens' breast on those, but from what I see, there appears to be the same "shafting" we were discussing in the Welsummer group.  Its very visible in the background hen in the next to last picture.  Just a thin cream colored line going down each feather on the chest
This is why I am asking about the breast of
the females

Walt

there's no really clear shot of the hens' breast on those, but from what I see, there appears to be the same "shafting" we were discussing in the Welsummer group.  Its very visible in the background hen in the next to last picture.  Just a thin cream colored line going down each feather on the chest

x2. I'm seeing the same thing!

Back
Top Bottom