Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Hate to be "that guy" but this was one of those good self confidence moments for me. Some of you may remember when I had mentioned way back that I envisioned a show type leghorn body with the crest and color. A show type leghorn is generally more heavy and has a fuller body. When I had mentioned this on one of the threads before, I got a couple messages from legbar folks telling me that the legbar was to be more dual purpose type and all that stuff. For me, I still envision a show style light brown leghorn body with a small crest and the color of a legbar which has always been the picture in my mind. That is one of the things I have been breeding towards and will continue to breed towards, just because I feel that it is appropriate given that the breed is supposed to be a great layer so it requires a longer body.

wee.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Go ahead...
celebrate.gif

Their is a big difference between a weight goal of 7-1/4 pound cocks and 6 pound cocks and a big difference between a 4-1/2 hens to a 5-1/2 pound hen. Some Idealized shapes of each breed are below. I am still interested in learning what is in the SOP rather than relying on idealized illustration which may or may not be 100% true to the SOP.

Cream Legbar Standard Weights: Brown Leghorn Standard Weights:
Cock: 7 to 7½lb; Cock: 6 lb
Cockerel 6 to 6½lb Cockerel 5 lb
Hen: 5 to 6lb; Hen: 4-1/2 lb
Pullet 4½ to 5lb Pullet 4 lb

https://sites.google.com/site/thecreamlegbarclub/ http://www.etsy.com/listing/77145138/1910-vintage-single-combed-brown-leghorn
http://www.etsy.com/listing/77145138/1910-vintage-single-combed-brown-leghorn

Last edited:
There is a big difference but as we discussed on the Sumatra thread, show birds tend to weigh much more than other birds. I have a brown leghorn hen from show lines and all the judges love her but she is just over 6 lbs (which should technically DQ her based on the 20% weight rule). Which is another reason why it is important to weigh birds as well. Another example is that I have a show type faverolle rooster that weighs double what he should but it's what the judges are placing. So, a show type leghorn (at least the ones I have dealt with) are generally over the standard weight which would match up with the legbars as far as weight goes. I might try to stick some of my legbar hens on a scale just to see what they weigh and how they compare

Posting this in all the threads so that everyone can see him: This is a cockerel from the Jill Rees lines that is growing up at Greenfire Farms! -- Availability is expected in Q2 of 2014.
Does her roo show good leghorn type. Also i dont see much of a diffrence in her rooster compared to some of ours. Maybe the wing bay looks diffrent than ours hers having no barring

Hate to be "that guy" but this was one of those good self confidence moments for me. Some of you may remember when I had mentioned way back that I envisioned a show type leghorn body with the crest and color. A show type leghorn is generally more heavy and has a fuller body. When I had mentioned this on one of the threads before, I got a couple messages from legbar folks telling me that the legbar was to be more dual purpose type and all that stuff. For me, I still envision a show style light brown leghorn body with a small crest and the color of a legbar which has always been the picture in my mind. That is one of the things I have been breeding towards and will continue to breed towards, just because I feel that it is appropriate given that the breed is supposed to be a great layer so it requires a longer body.

wee.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

There is a big difference but as we discussed on the Sumatra thread, show birds tend to weigh much more than other birds. I have a brown leghorn hen from show lines and all the judges love her but she is just over 6 lbs (which should technically DQ her based on the 20% weight rule). Which is another reason why it is important to weigh birds as well. Another example is that I have a show type faverolle rooster that weighs double what he should but it's what the judges are placing. So, a show type leghorn (at least the ones I have dealt with) are generally over the standard weight which would match up with the legbars as far as weight goes. I might try to stick some of my legbar hens on a scale just to see what they weigh and how they compare
FMP, you can definitely say 'I told you so' Also you came to mind when Walt was mentioning breeders - (as opposed to raisers perhaps) The Araucana Club Handbook has a distinct article about Breeders and not using the term loosely.

Is the weight on the show birds from the higher protein feeds??.....Like the MannaPro Poultry Conditioner that I have here -- "helps condition birds for performance and exhibition, supports brilliant, high-quality plumage, provides complete fortification for vigorous, healthy birds" My birds don't think much of it and turn up their beaks...It's 22% protein.

Does the show Leghorn hen lay frequently? One of my chicken books cautions against overweight because it lessens hen's production. Very curious.

Here are a couple pics of one of the pullets. Ignore the color, but how is her type, according to the proposed standard?

Interestingly, they look very much like the 'rare historic' picture of Cream Legbars that Curtis has. It is in the current revision of the Club handbook that the officers are due to proofread etc. as we speak.

Hopefully the process will be done soon and the handbook can go out!! Perhaps Curtis could post in the interim??

Does her roo show good leghorn type. Also i dont see much of a diffrence in her rooster compared to some of ours. Maybe the wing bay looks diffrent than ours hers having no barring

No, it does not have good Leghorn type. I see a huge difference even though the photo angle is not the greatest. Look at the two illustrations above posted by GaryDean.......that is what good Leghorns should look like although today they have more tail in the males. This is one of my bantams, but you see all the extra tail in this shot. He also has his wings low as her tries to pick a fight with his coop mate.

The correct type for you folks is in GaryDeans illustrations. Dont worry about trying to make a big bird. Todays Leghorns as noted are overweight. There are no scales at a show so some judges go with these monster birds.....they shouldn't. Once chickens get too big the males start to have leg problems and the hens have laying problems......you don't want any of this. These problems are what ultimately keep the birds from getting too big. They get too big and they can't reproduce.....that takes care of the problem. And I can't see these getting too big any time soon.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom