Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Special Announcement!!! For everyone who has been waiting with me for a response from the UK regarding #1 what the color cream means, and #2 their feelings regarding shafting, I have an update. I wrote two highly esteemed Judges from the PCGB, and one was kind enough to write back to me after conferring with 3 other Judges as well as other experts in auto sexing breeds.
Their response:

"1. The colour cream in the hackles det (perhaps he meant def as in definitely) is not white or silver but we do agree on the description by Michael Pease of an extremely diluted gold. This is where it appears to me like a very pale butter.

2. Shafting in the feathers is more visible in the female feathers especially in the back and shoulders."

So there we have it, cream = very pale butter. This will not change the SOP, but does give us a clearer picture to shoot for when imagining the final bird.

Shafting will definitely be added to the female "Back" section, and a more moderate version added to the "Breast". As with everything, these are up for discussion, but I think most will be pleased...at least a "smudge".
big_smile.png

I will try to release Draft 2 by the end of the week, to include intro (minus the history) and shafting additions.

I'm happy that you were able to contact some British judges. Is that where you ran across Mike Hatcher? He is a longtime friend, who on occasion visits our shows. He would be a great judge to help with the CL qualifying meet if he happens to be in the States at that time. I hope you will be able to consult with them on other issues as you go along. Nothing like having a judge(s) from the country of origin available for reference.

I apologize for still not grading my test. I am extremely busy at the moment with a number of things. I'm leaving tomorrow morning with 40 birds to show at the Cal National Show in Ventura CA. That is about a 6-7 hour drive for me and getting 40 birds ready has taken more time than I had thought it would take.

Walt

I will get to it next week sometime.

I'm happy that you were able to contact some British judges. Is that where you ran across Mike Hatcher? He is a longtime friend, who on occasion visits our shows. He would be a great judge to help with the CL qualifying meet if he happens to be in the States at that time. I hope you will be able to consult with them on other issues as you go along. Nothing like having a judge(s) from the country of origin available for reference.

I apologize for still not grading my test. I am extremely busy at the moment with a number of things. I'm leaving tomorrow morning with 40 birds to show at the Cal National Show in Ventura CA. That is about a 6-7 hour drive for me and getting 40 birds ready has taken more time than I had thought it would take.

Walt

I will get to it next week sometime.

Yes, Mike Hatcher is the Judge who wrote me back. He seems incredibly helpful, and worked very hard to get into contact with the other Judges I wrote to as well as other autosexing experts. I hope that he is available when the time comes for our qualifying meet.

Best wishes for the Cal National Show! A bit off-topic, would you be willing to share where you found those individual poultry travel boxes?

Yes, Mike Hatcher is the Judge who wrote me back. He seems incredibly helpful, and worked very hard to get into contact with the other Judges I wrote to as well as other autosexing experts. I hope that he is available when the time comes for our qualifying meet.

Best wishes for the Cal National Show! A bit off-topic, would you be willing to share where you found those individual poultry travel boxes?
Mike is a wonderful resource for you folks.

To find the carrying boxes google "pet carrier". They come in cardboard, but the best are the plastic type.

Walt

So... the Next Question would be, whats the exact color of VERY pale Butter..? lighter than Pale Butter? which is ligther than butter....... But what shade of butter? in Nicaragua Butter is a light shade of yellow... whats a Very pale light shade of yellow?

Edit. I would gess we would go from the Color found on Butter in the UK right? let me google that...

Last edited:
Ok so here it is.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter

the color Butter from the wikipedia, the cool thing is that it has a sample of a pic of Butter at the Borough Market, London

and here is the Pic....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Butter_at_the_Borough_Market.jpg

see how pale the Unsalted Butter is?(Mr. Mike Hatcher didnt say if it was salted or unsalted)... having this pale color in your mind, now try to further Dilute the color to what it could be called a VERY PALE butter color..! I would say that color would be nearly white, while not being outright white..... so we are back where we started....

Last edited:
Walt!! *H*A*P*P*Y *** *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y* -- it's tomorrow, right? Many Happy Returns of the Day.

Best wishes for you success in Ventrua, my BA was in Thousand Oaks...CA is such a beautiful state!! Wish I could go to that meet.

The Cream Legbar Club will have to invite you to write an article, be interviewed or do a presentation at a meeting just about the logistics of showing. I'm curious if the same birds go to all the shows or if they are rotated...and washing all those chickens...very labor intensive.

Have fun!

Quote:
No... Mr. Mike said it was VERY PALE Buter...... so yeah we are back were we started, unless Mr. Mike does not know what he is talking about right? and Butter and Cream have the same color, atleast in the UK, cream color is a very pale shade of yellow, so take that and diluted even further to a VERY PALE Cream shade...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom