Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Yes, and the color of very pale butter is cream -- or perhaps you could say dark cream. At this point, it may be hair-splitting.

It's beyond hair splitting. Anything in digital form is not totally correct in color. If you find some image online, be very careful about thinking the color you see is the color of the real thing.....because it is not. Every computer monitor shows color slightly different unless you calibrate it every day with a very expensive software program. If you drink coffee it will further change the color slightly. If you are using a pad/phone you will get a color that could be pretty far off.

Mike knows his stuff and frankly he has seen more CL's than anyone on this thread will see in their lifetime.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. the birthday is tomorrow.

Mike and I at Indy judging the qualifying meet of the Steinbacher geese....guess which one is Mike. lol

Walt

I had the pleasure of visiting Greenfire Farms today. This is a pic of a Jill Rees rooster for Greenfires new launch.

Quote: Yes, and the color of very pale butter is cream -- or perhaps you could say dark cream. At this point, it may be hair-splitting.
I also spoke with another UK judge and he emphatically stated cream was just that cream. I asked him about the very pale butter comment and he insisted that cream was cream. He added that in the past two years several Legbars had been DQ'd at shows for being incorrectly colored. I am weary of this debate. I fully understand that folks like the more colorful bird and that some who have not bred them for any duration are concerned about their stock; if what they have is not what they believe they need or should have commercially or that their personal tastes belies the British and drafted US standard. I have been told by breeders in the UK, yes Jill Rees was one and Bonnie Hall was another that the color cream is not to be yellow or gold in any way. Bonnie Hall quoted Pease and channeled Niclandia with the additional double dose of barring increasing the lightening effect and like him shot me some examples. Can we talk about combs, crests and type as this color debate will not be answered anytime soon and before we go alter the British SOP can we just breed these birds for a bit and then have a consensus of what cream in a Cream Legbar will look like. I bred my birds as I chose regardless of what others or the SOP stated. I have hatched 2 spring and 2 fall crops of chicks. If your idea is really that the hackle should be a form of yellow or gold I believe you will find it very hard to breed a consistently good looking cream rooster over time. I have a lot of issues with my flock that I need to work on and that will take a long time to filter through but the cream hackle I have in my females that is consistent, if it were pale butter would be a very very pale butter. Cream is not white. I do have silver looking birds for comparison that some of you rail on but most of the 19 cream colored pullets and hens I have are not a sparkling white but a white with such a slight hint of color that you could think white in a photo but it's not, and maybe that's what very pale butter looks like, I really don't know. Color, unless you have a pantone like swatch is personal preference. I have 3 others that I know are gold and they are a very light gold, and I have two white recessive girls. I only had one dark gold pullet this year that I grew out... I just gave her and another lighter gold one that were about 14 weeks away to a friend. This color debate is tedious even for me and I love the color debate but it is not being done with a great number of birds folks have actually bred and watched grow out with an intent towards a cream hackle, it's being done via photos and semantics. I've had enough even though I think it's a fools errand to alter the SOP in that regards. I'll watch from the sideline but continue to breed towards the British ideal. This year's goal is color, size, tail angle and (because of NICLANDIA) gray and white saddle barring. Combs will be as they are currently... imperfect. Maybe in 20 years as I'm about to retire I'll have a proper Cream Legbar.... oh wait... I'll need two more years to get the fourth and last boy through college. DRATS!

Looks like you had a great trip horsedirt! I hope to go there one day!

Well M, I think the only thing I have right so far is the comb lol. One day we'll combine and create a great bird!

How about type? I just started reading through the Heritage Large Fowl thread, and it's making me take another look at the silhouettes I originally had in mind for my birds. The HLF thread and recent conversations about Leghorns/layer types have lead me to think that I need to lengthen my mental picture in both the neck and back (to promote a better shape for egg laying, while keeping the fuller body to meet weight requirements as well). I started on a basic shape painting to go in my pen today, for quick look comparisons, using the silhouettes on the CLC logo with just a tiny bit of tweaking for my personal goals. Has anyone else done something simlar and want to share? I know a while back a few people were working on an outline overlay for photos of their birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom