Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

I know you were thinking Danish since you wrote the history along with your team mates on that project - but you wrote Dutch

http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/20-history-of-the-cream-legbar
Thanks!!!! The brain is getting overload. Lol

Sometimes I think that the CL will be the most examined chicken to walk on the face of the earth---
Then you haven't browsed the 200+ page reference on the Leghorn or the 400+ page reference on the Plymouth Rock in the open Library yet. The Legbar isn't a drop in the bucket compared to the examination those breeds have seen. :)

Last edited:
There probably was no doubt in your minds that the quality of feed has a huge impact on quality of bird. But I have a couple questions about this.. First a note: I put Elvis on game bird feed. He is growing like crazy and filling out and shockingly is just learned to crow. I know it has been said you can't play catch up but he is doing as close to catching up as possible.

Now my question: I want to raise a bird that is thrifty and efficient at foraging. Elvis did a remarkable job with the conditions he had to work with.. But ideally I don't want to raise a bird or line that requires a lot of heavy impractical feeding if given *good* forage and some reasonable supplementing. Is there the thought among folks here that quality of bird has something to do also with this kind of foraging skill and thriftiness?

Best advice I've heard to encourage thriftiness is to allow hens to raise the chicks- they will keep them busy foraging all day and teach them to look for their food. Obviously you are not going to get the same quantity of meat from birds raised in front of the feeder but the quality will be better.

There probably was no doubt in your minds that the quality of feed has a huge impact on quality of bird. But I have a couple questions about this.. First a note: I put Elvis on game bird feed. He is growing like crazy and filling out and shockingly is just learned to crow. I know it has been said you can't play catch up but he is doing as close to catching up as possible.

Now my question: I want to raise a bird that is thrifty and efficient at foraging. Elvis did a remarkable job with the conditions he had to work with.. But ideally I don't want to raise a bird or line that requires a lot of heavy impractical feeding if given *good* forage and some reasonable supplementing. Is there the thought among folks here that quality of bird has something to do also with this kind of foraging skill and thriftiness?
i agree with lonnyandrinda--
The first broody CL I had wouldn't let the teeny chick go to the feed - she MADE them forage. My CLs are excellent at finding things - beware grasshoppers, crawly things, I even saw the petite 3.5 one scarf down a small - snake. Wish I had gotten pictures of THAT. -- I also think that they can learn from each other - even if raised in a brooder, they can mimic the ones in your flock that are excellent foragers.

Here's the thing about CL roosters...I have seen them pick up and drop the food many, many times -- so the hens will get it. I was worried that they were so good to the hens that they never got the good stuff.

Good to hear that Elvis has caught up -- he may have the genetics to be a big boy.

....My CLs are excellent at finding things - beware grasshoppers, crawly things, I even saw the petite 3.5 one scarf down a small - snake....

Do you think the hens that produce these eggs eat crawling things? Whenever I see them I think of hens "cheating" on their diet by eating mice, and other animal proteins like the kids at the weight loss camps "cheating" by sneaking bread and other carbs when no one is looking. :)

Back
Top Bottom