Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Thanks Laingcroft--

My 2-years old (todya's his birthday) CL rooster weighs 5 1/2 pounds. And my hens hover on the below side of 4#.

Once I had a 4 pound Golden Comet that produced Jumbo or Extra Large eggs daily for 200-days in a row, took a day off and then started laying again. Quite the clutch, I would say. Small chickens can lay big eggs on less feed. There are a lot of benefits to smaller birds. They take less space, they require less feed.

At the Bluebonnet Classic Poultry show last Saturday over 1/2 the exhibit hall was Bantam breeds I would guess, which kind of surprised me. The Standard chickens there were very large examples of their breeds - the size of small turkeys...IMO. I have also heard that bigger birds if there is a choice between two that are nearly identical win at the shows. GaryDean26-was there -- GaryDean- do you think that it was about 1/2 Bantams? -- If the trend is toward smaller breeds - maybe we are outsizing by going for the top end of the British SOP - besides being a mismatch to our existing chickens - I would be interested in what other peoples roosters and hens weigh and their ages. I have some 2-week olds that are weighing in a 4-5 ounces...which I think is huge. My weighing accuraacy diminished because they are too heavy for my egg scale now -in just two weeks. They were 1.2 and 1.4 ounces when take out of the incubator..... whMarans had a really good idea about tracking weights - and there is a form on the CL website where you can enter weights - I think it goes up to 2-years old. Trouble is, once entered on the form it requires going directly to the spreadsheet to add weights as they age...but we are managing that OK. If anyone has interest in accumulating data- there is a place where it can be shared and late when we have some amount we can analyze it.

It's interesting too, that people with concern of frostbite really need a smaller comb, and those with need for heat dispersion benefit from a larger comb. With our 115-degrees and strings of days over 100 here, the big comb is a benefit, but aesthetically, I prefer smaller combs. I guess that is one of the places that your chosen breed needs to match your environment. The neck hackle feathers were so thick at one time, I couldn't dig down to the skin with a clear path to put a pour on wormer on the back of the rooster's neck...

ETA looked at some older info and the GC was 4 pounds or 4 pounds 2 ounces or so....
Happy Birthday, Ice!! After reading this about the weight, I decided to go get Wunzie and weigh him. He's my oldest CL @ 14 months old (Nov 3, 2012).

Thanks ChicKat!
highfive.gif

This might help.

Left: Light Brown Leghorn, Right: Cream Legbar

Top: Light Brown Leghorn, Bottom: Cream Legbar

Light Brown Leghorn

Cream Legbar

Last edited:
One of my roos is as big as my two ameraucana. One cream is close but my favorite one seems small to me. Hes eaither small or the hen with him is large making him look small. Shes a big hen. I need to get a scale.

Quote:
thats what good students do after a while...
Ive heard before its not a correct tell. But maybe your teacher is right. Could it be a gold stripe is a gold that doesnt carry cream and will never produce creams. And silver stripes produce silver birds. And cream stripes could produce a gold or cream looking bird as an adult but you can be sure the gold one carrys cream

Ive heard before its not a correct tell. But maybe your teacher is right. Could it be a gold stripe is a gold that doesnt carry cream and will never produce creams. And silver stripes produce silver birds. And cream stripes could produce a gold or cream looking bird as an adult but you can be sure the gold one carrys cream
Time for the baby stripes to be compared to the OAC imo.....

Quote:
No, no... I guess you didnt get my Point at all.... here is my post
Quote:
the Color of the Chimpmunk Stripes is no indication of its final outcome or sex linked s allele(s+ for gold and S for silver) what you need to pay attention is the Overall chick down tone... while gold based chicks can have silver stripes their body down color will be orange/chestnut while the silver chicks will also have silver stripes but their overall body tone will be yellow or pale yellow...

Red Dorkins,... Red enhanced Wildtype chicks... you can see they have chestnutt chipmunk tone but their back stripes remain yellow/cream

chicks5.jpg

here we have RED Dorking, Red, Not gold, not cream, Not silver but RED... they are Red enhanced gold duckwing birds, but look at the chick's back stripe.. what color are the stripes? Red? No.. they are still yellow/cream.... so what have we learned here? the color of the Stripes on the chick's back will not dictate the bird's color as adults..

Back
Top Bottom