Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

@Chickencame1st
It's hard to evaluate his type with these photos- can you get one straight on from the side?  I will say he appears to have a good size but size is relative.  Do you know his weight?  His comb is fantastically straight!  Wattles are nice, earlobe is a good solid white, legs have great color.  He is gold instead of cream though, but he's a very good start to a flock.  Do some test mating to some cream hens and see if he carries cream.  In addition to the gold which I can see in his hackles, saddles, and wing triangle he has a lot more chestnut on his shoulders than I'd prefer.  But he's a good start if you will be selective with his offspring.
Thank you!! I will secure additional pictures tonight of the roo and the 5 week old chicks. The chicks are not his offspring.
Thanks again.

Chickencame1st,

O.K. you are sure it was the chicken and not the egg? I like a lot of things about your rooster and one of the major ones is that he has nice small neat wattles, some CLs get really big, long floppy wattles, your guy's look very tidy and trim. Neat that he has those bright yellow legs, and I also like the firm way he stands on straight legs from the front view. He has what everyone is calling 'too much color' - and this is something that the CL breed has under scrutiny right now - I think that his color is that distinctive - "oh, that's a Cream Legbar!" coloration an I hope it doesn't become totally lost in the future of the breed.
If he is a sweet heart when you a putting salve on his frost bite, and if he is a good rooster to his hens, good in size, healthy and fertile-- you have a great starting point IMO to build your CL flock!!

Last edited:
I'd love to get some feedback on these two cockerels. I have a 3rd cockerel but didn't get photos today. The older cockerel is lighter in color in the hackles, saddle feathers and chest. The younger cockerel is darker in those area. I know this group is working on the Standard.. what's the consensus so far on color?

Older cockerel

Younger cockerel

I'd love to get some feedback on these two cockerels. I have a 3rd cockerel but didn't get photos today. The older cockerel is lighter in color in the hackles, saddle feathers and chest. The younger cockerel is darker in those area. I know this group is working on the Standard.. what's the consensus so far on color?

Older cockerel

Younger cockerel

I'm hoping someone responds to this. I'm trying to do the final selection for my #1 breeder and I'm torn between the two colorations as well. My gut is to go with the lighter one (given all other factors being equal as far as body, type, tail angle etc) but the darker one is also "cream" but has darker base coloring - which is more correct?

Older cockerel

Younger cockerel

Just an opinion, but the older cockerel has better colors and type. The older one is fuller in the chest but is still on the thin side. I like the head and comb on the younger one better. Not sure what to think about the comb on the back of the head of the older cockerel. It does not appear to follow the head. From this picture, I wonder if the older cockerel's comb flops away from the camera in this picture. Tail angles on both are OK. THe sickle feathers on the older cockerel appear more drooped that I would like to see.

Bottom line: It is always a mixed bag. Each has good traits and each has faults. If it were me, I would probably use the younger cockerel over the older one. He just looks a little better and has fewer faults. Good luck on your decision.

I'd love to get some feedback on these two cockerels. I have a 3rd cockerel but didn't get photos today. The older cockerel is lighter in color in the hackles, saddle feathers and chest. The younger cockerel is darker in those area. I know this group is working on the Standard.. what's the consensus so far on color? Older cockerel Younger cockerel
Have you had a chance to read the draft 2 standard yet? Your older too has a better shape and color according to the standard, but I can't see his wing bay. Do you have any pics with the feathers straightened out? I really like his crest, and one extra point is not a big deal in terms of his comb. In future offspring I would pick boys which display the cream and gray as much as possible in the saddle, and try to get away from those dark golden bits way back there hanging out with the lesser sickles. Your younger boy has some growing in to do, but he has a great start shaped wise. Watch that breast line to see if it rounds out or stays flat ( round breast good). Does he always hold his wings low, or is it just the cage? This is something to look for in offspring to get them nice and high. Does he have a crest? If not, you are going to have to pair him large crested girls or he will father non crested birds instead of just passing one copy of it down...automatic DQ if you're planning on showing. Color wise, I think you know he's gold...but it doesn't 't mean that he has to be dismissed if you have cream girls to work with :) best wishes with your beautiful birds!

Just an opinion, but the older cockerel has better colors and type. The older one is fuller in the chest but is still on the thin side. I like the head and comb on the younger one better. Not sure what to think about the comb on the back of the head of the older cockerel. It does not appear to follow the head. From this picture, I wonder if the older cockerel's comb flops away from the camera in this picture. Tail angles on both are OK. THe sickle feathers on the older cockerel appear more drooped that I would like to see.

Bottom line: It is always a mixed bag. Each has good traits and each has faults. If it were me, I would probably use the younger cockerel over the older one. He just looks a little better and has fewer faults. Good luck on your decision.
Thanks for the feedback! I think the comb is being covered up by the crest but I do think the comb is also leaning away from the camera a bit. I'll look more closely tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom