Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Greeting from Fort. St. John British Columbia (I got out of the office today). I had a Cream Legbar cockerel that I breed last fall from "Ice" who was paired with the hen in my breeding pen with the smallest crest. I just got one cockerel from them. We was gold and undersized. He weighed in at just 4-1/2 lbs at 6 months and the two cream cockerels that I kept from that grow out both we over 5-1/2 lbs. at the same weigh in. He however had a perfect 45 deg tail, not white on the tail, and he had a large comb that was perfectly straight, followed the line of the neck and had a large crest. Even though he was undersized I kept him and was going to breed him to an unrelated cream pullet from the same hatch. I ended up having to sell him though and don't have any photos of him. I will see if the new owner can get us any photos. I want my cockerels to have big crests and straight combs like his.

Greeting from Fort. St. John British Columbia (I got out of the office today). I had a Cream Legbar cockerel that I breed last fall from "Ice" who was paired with the hen in my breeding pen with the smallest crest. I just got one cockerel from them. We was gold and undersized. He weighed in at just 4-1/2 lbs at 6 months and the two cream cockerels that I kept from that grow out both we over 5-1/2 lbs. at the same weigh in. He however had a perfect 45 deg tail, not white on the tail, and he had a large comb that was perfectly straight, followed the line of the neck and had a large crest. Even though he was undersized I kept him and was going to breed him to an unrelated cream pullet from the same hatch. I ended up having to sell him though and don't have any photos of him. I will see if the new owner can get us any photos. I want my cockerels to have big crests and straight combs like his.
It would be neat if you could get a photo to show us.

I have a two cockerels from Ice here right now - and both look promising for crests/combs...but it is way too early to tell--and I think the bigger crested one (he's 8-weeks) - may begin to wrinkle....(or maybe his head will grow into it? LOL)--- I'm so tempted to pluck some crest feathers to see if that leaves more room for the comb......sooo tempted...but then it would hurt him.... :eek:(

And from the same hatches....10 pullets.... pretty good ratio IMO....

Have fun in BC

Last edited:
Hi all:

I have two baby roos and their's only room for one backup....pics below....my read is that one is really big for his age and is the same size and some LF girls two weeks older....but he doesn't carry his tail high enough..(imho) the second is a bit undersized but is already crowing has more bearing....your thoughts?

I am learning here, so someone please tell me if I am thinking wrong.

By the pictures... I like the larger cockerel more. I think his tail is set at a better angle and has better barring on the feathers. I would like to see better pictures in profile of the smaller rooster before actually picking one though.

I am learning here, so someone please tell me if I am thinking wrong.

By the pictures... I like the larger cockerel more. I think his tail is set at a better angle and has better barring on the feathers. I would like to see better pictures in profile of the smaller rooster before actually picking one though.
I agree. I also like the size of the larger one and I also like his tail set also his back seems longer which I like.

Tail angles take a LONG time to finish up. I would suspect the low tailed boy will be just about perfect when he matures- the smaller high set tail is going to end up too high IMO. They are about equal in body coloring, and leg color. I see some red streaks in the earlobe, not terrible just something to keep an eye on. I can't tell if the larger boy has a crest or not? Again this is not a dealbreaker but something you should fix as you breed for the next generation. I can't tell much about body type from these photos, can you get a close up straight on side shot, like this? We want to be able to see the "frontline," "underline," length of back, and proportion of front to back as well as balance on the legs. Even a side shot in a cage would work.

Quote:
It would be neat if you could get a photo to show us.

Have fun in BC

I got photos back today for the new owner of Ice Jr. (at the urbancoopcomany).
yippiechickie.gif

See below.

I have had multiple people say after working with their flock for a year that straight combs and large crest aren't possible on cream Legbar cockerels. This is what I have been seeing on a few of mine. Unfortunately the cock bird that I used in the pairing for this handsome man is no longer on my property. Some from other pairings are close to this one though. At least I know what is possible and have a goal of what to shoot for.

Back
Top Bottom