Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Beautiful, sorry it is a 'was' --- what breed was Corsario?
He was a Peruvian Paso. He was as smooth as glass and could flat fly. He won lots and all but one (my error) of his champagne classes, and received out of the ring compliments on his gait fom several Peruvian judges.
Show ring or trails he kicked butt. This was taken three days before I had to put him down , and the avitar is just before. You should have seen him healthy in full tack his flaxen mane rippling past his shoulder gaiting proudly. Enough. Thanks for letting me share. It was the fall of 2012 and I still miss him all the time.

Last edited:
sorry to make you cry. It makes me sad, but it is a joy to still share a part of his beauty and how he touched my life. He was and remains forever my 'pretty boy'. When he was young he was often mistaken for a mare even as a young stud Colt. Too pretty :)

Last edited:
I was given 2 creme legbar. Hen lays light green eggs. Need some experienced eyes. Pure breed or cross?

Hi, both pics appear to be in the more colorful range of "Cream" Legbars. The "blue" eggs tend to come in a few shades, often with a touch of green; but look more blue next to a decidedly green egg. Thanks for posting.

Hopefully after hatching every egg i can from her this year and some eyes that arent color blind i can have a nice flock in few years!!!! Hard to breed towards a standard when your color blind. Will all the experience on this website i think i can do it.

Have any of your CCR hens spurred? We bought eggs from a breeder in CA and hatched 4 birds. 3 cocks and 1 hen...She is almost a year old and has nicer spurs than the cocks...Just curios, haven't had these very long. Thanks.

Have any of your CCR hens spurred? We bought eggs from a breeder in CA and hatched 4 birds. 3 cocks and 1 hen...She is almost a year old and has nicer spurs than the cocks...Just curios, haven't had these very long. Thanks.
I have one that has spurs. She was a craigslist purchase years ago - I don't know much about her. As far as I know, her daughters didn't get spurs....

FWIW - one of England's experts told me that over there -- spurs on females ain't no big thing -- Here in the USA I think it is points off in the show pen.

I used three pairing in 2012. One of the pairing that I hatched from that year produced a high percentage of hens with spurs. Yes, some of them were larger than the cockerels spurs. I asked my mentor in the UK about the hens spurs and she said that her foundation flock had them but that they were good good hens and that she did cull for spurs. I did some more looking and it seems that the school of thought was that laying breeds should NOT have spurs on the hens because it diverts resources from shell strength of eggs to growing spurs. The game fowl breed require hen spurs in the standard. The school of though on that is that the breeders wanted to know what type of spurs the hen was passing to her sons (who were breed for cock fighting and need good spurs).

I decided to cull for hen spurs in my flock. None of my breeders have hen spurs as I haven't seen it pop out of any more pairing over the past few years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom