Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

My one femal CL is gasping for air with every heart beat.... Dosent want to walk and its abdomen feels tighter possibly bloated more than the other 32 chicks i have right now. Laying down and refuses to walk. 4 days old.... What to do. None of the other chickens are havkng any problems. So shouldbt be heat l, food, water or brooder bedding.... Could she be backed up with poop? Should i just leave her alone instead of compounding problems?

Does she have pasty butt? If so wash her gently in warm water. Try dipping beak in the water. I would separate her if they're all in one brooder. I had a shipped chick who looked dead upon arrival but I separated and nursed back. She perked up and looked better so I put her back with the others and took a nap. When I awoke she was dead.

I have 3 cream legbars - one rooster and 2 hens. I'm very interested in this thread as I bred my 3 and 2 of the males hatched out normal legbar color but have changed to a whitish/silvery shade with orange and brown leakage.
we want to see pictures of your beautiful birds. This helps lots!

I'm former Marine. Served in the early 80's. It is an older insignia. I was a structures mechanic "tin bender" on the CH-53's. Spent most of my time in J-ville NC..(-:

I as at Tustin in 83' and really miss California sometimes..LOL

Last edited:
Do you get spurs too? Some of my older hens have pretty big spurs too. My husband finally noticed and asked if they were turning into roosters!
In 2012 I had about 80% of the pullets from one of my foundation hens get lady Spurs. One had bigger spurs than any of the cockerels. I culled the 80% and selected the best hen from the remaining 20% and haven't seen many lady spurs since then. I do so it on a few birds but they have been few and far between.

Last edited:
I'm former Marine. Served in the early 80's. It is an older insignia. I was a structures mechanic "tin bender" on the CH-53's. Spent most of my time in J-ville NC..(-:

I as at Tustin in 83' and really miss California sometimes..LOL

Thank you for your service. I appreciate the information.
I looked up the Tustin base, sounds like it was a busy place to be and the CH-53's were a critical piece.
Glad to know your time here was memorable.

Well my CL pullet has survived the scare she gave me. Next morning she was back on her feet eating and drinking good. Still dont know what was wrong with her. Thanks to all who commented and messaged me with tips.

Back
Top Bottom