Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

You're welcome
1f604.png

X2.

I now Bantam and I are really into our Legbars..Why else would she drive 30 hours to get a rooster of mine!

If I had to chose just one breed of chickens to own, Legbar would be in the top three for sure. If I lived somewhere winter trimming of roosters did not occur they would be number 1.

Man, I should get you a picture of Eli now. Winter wasn't kind at all this year. That guy is always underfoot. Jake sure put the screws to him, judging by what's left of his tail after winter, but now that it's breeding season, Jake and the other big Marans are all put separate, so Eli and his brother and Fabio and his brother are much bolder. Eli's brother has a very gorgeous crest now, as impressive as Fabio's.

You can win, best of breed or best of variety. You cannot win best of show type stuff.
Legbars should be accepted fairly soon. I show mine just to get people to know the breed. You would be amazed how many Legbars I have gotten out here in Minnesota. There are even ads on craigslist of people that bought from me in the past selling them this year,,,For more that sold them for, but I sell them cheaply so more people get them.

I think at the Minnesota Poultry Association show last fall the Legbars were the most talked about and looked at birds there. So winning is not everything with legbars.

So when do you believe FAIRLY SOON is, are we thinking in the next year? Just wondering. I raise them and my kids will be in 4-H next summer and Im wondering if they will be able to show them with the chance to win anything or just for exhibition.
thanks

So when do you believe FAIRLY SOON is, are we thinking in the next year? Just wondering. I raise them and my kids will be in 4-H next summer and Im wondering if they will be able to show them with the chance to win anything or just for exhibition.
thanks

There seems to be some confusion here on the process for accepting new breeds into the APA.

The APA Standards Committee is interested in new breeds that its members will want to show and exhibit for for decades to come. many breeds that are already accepted are few in number an rarely ever seen at shows in not completely extinct. To prevent novelty breeds from being submitted and then never being shown by APA members there is a 5 year minimum acceptance process to be admitted into the APA recognized breeds. During that time the breed is show at APA shows right along with any other breed. Exhibitors get win 1st to 5th place an the catagories of pullets, hens, cockerels, cocks just like any other breed. They als can win best of breed and reserve of breed. Only breeds that are recognized member of set APA classes compete for best of class and reserve of class so the Legbar would not compete against other breeds. Best of show is selected from the class winners so the Legbar could also not win best of show, but the truth is that breeds that have been exhibited for over a 100 years are far better established than the Legbar breed so if you goal is to win best of show you should look for some of the older APA breeds and get stock from breeders that have been showing them for 20+ years.

The Cream Legbar has not been shown very much at APA meets. It is growing though. We had our children enter out two best cockerels and three best pullets at the county fair last year. They had the only five Cream Legbars at the show but they were very good quality birds and they looked a lot better than lots of the other breeds they were at the show. Our girls came home with three trophies which is more than were awarded to some breeds with 3 times as many entries in the breed so I was happy with the way the judges and organizers ran the show. Good birds were awarded for being good birds not for being a recognized breed. Our birds were noticed and two other 4H families are decided they wanted to work with Cream Legbars so we will have at least three Cream Legbar Breeders at our County Fair this fall. For the Cream Legbar to become a recognized breed it will have to grow to where their are multiple exhibitors are shows all over the country. Your children can be a part of that and by getting in early will have a big advantage over though who jump in later on. It may take 5 years ot may take 10 years. It all depends on how many people are interested in showing Legbars. The more that are interested the quicker the breed can be accepted. If no one shows the Legbar it doesn't need to be an accepted APA breed. The APA breeds are in the books so that they can be exhibited against other breeds.

[COLOR=333333]So when do you believe FAIRLY SOON is, are we thinking in the next year?  Just wondering.  I raise them and my kids will be in 4-H next summer and Im wondering if they will be able to show them with the chance to win anything or just for exhibition.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]thanks[/COLOR]

There seems to be some confusion here on the process for accepting new breeds into the APA.  

The APA Standards Committee is interested in new breeds that its members will want to show and exhibit for for decades to come. many breeds that are already accepted are few in number an rarely ever seen at shows in not completely extinct.  To prevent novelty breeds from being submitted and then never being shown by APA members there is a 5 year minimum acceptance process to be admitted into the APA recognized breeds.

I believe to qualify for participation in what would lead to the acceptance process, the show participants must be APA members for 5 years and also breeders of that breed variety for 5 years in an APA "sponsored" show for it to count towards that process.

I believe to qualify for participation in what would lead to the acceptance process, the show participants must be APA members for 5 years and also breeders of that breed variety for 5 years in an APA "sponsored" show for it to count towards that process.

I know you have to have belonged to the APA for 5 years. Which is why my showing of them never counts...
hit.gif

I was in the APA 20 years ago when I was in high school, but I haven't kept up with it because there are no shows for me to attend near Billings MT. I can't afford to drag my birds several States over. If there were shows even within 100 miles, I'd think about it, but there is nothing, not even the fair has a sanctioned show here

No that is not correct. Once the breed is being shown breeders can start to hold Pre-qualifying meets. At pre-qualifying meets a minimum of four birds must be exhibited in each of the four categories (Pullet, Hen, Cockerel, Cock). Anyone can exhibit birds at the pre-qualifiers. There is no requirement for you to be an APA member to exhibit birds in a pre-qualifier. Successful Pre-qualifiers must be held in a minimum of two consecutive year before for the breed organization to request a qualifying meet. At the qualifying meet you must have a minimum of 50 birds with minimum numbers in each category. You don't have to be an APA member to exhibit birds at the qualifiers. Two successful qualifying meets must be help for the breed to be accepted and an application to the APA must also be made. The application requires an affidavit from five members of the APA certifying that they have breed the breed for a minimum of 5 years and that it breeds true. Yes those APA member must be members of APA for the 5 years minimum that they are required to certify they have worked with the breed.

At this point the Cream Legbar as not completed any Pre-qualifying meets. It is still a great breed for 4H yout to work with and show. We had a good group of 4H youth in Texas showing Cream Legbars while we lived there (and before our children were old enough to do 4H). I know a young man that one first place in the state wide Junior Showmanship with a Cream Legbar Hen. I now another young man that one 2nd place in the Backyard division with a Cream Legbar hen and a yound woman that won best of show in the Backyard division with a Cream Legbar hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom