Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Pics
Wow I can't keep up with you guys AND work!!

Just wanted to say that I bought the latest copy of the British Poultry Standard. It looks like an awesome book to have.
Unfortunately it is in France now so will take some time to get here!

Also looks good to me, what color are his hackles? His saddle feather's look lemon. Is lemon a diluted red enhancer or is it a form of cream? Gosh, I need to read and re-read if I'm going to figure this out!!
ChicKat, where your original female chicks brown based or silver?
His hackles are like a light lemon pith color so far. His saddles are the same color as his legs which are yellow-orange. Tomorrow I will work on getting a decent pic of him

oh I found the paper.. and it states that Punnett was segregating cream from hens imported from Chile, were they Ameraucanas? who is to say they were other native american(south american) breed, like Rapanuis or any of the Olmec(Quechua, Quetro) breeds?

http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/48/327.pdf
No one, 100% assumption of Araucana based on articles I've been reading. :) Of course, the three hens could have been unrelated, and who knows which two survived? We do know they laid blue eggs, had crests, and that in itself narrows it down a bit.

Like this excerpt,
"Colloncas De Artes is the composite breed generated by the crossing of Quetro and Colloncas stocks. In North America, the Colloncas De Artes were refined into heirloom varieties of what we call Araucana. In the U.K., Quechua De Artes, the composite breed generated by the crossing of Quechua bantams with Quetros were exported to Europe during the Falklands dispute period. As a consequence, much of the western and northern European countries' tinted egg breeds are derived from Chilean Indian stock and as such are probably more correctly defined as Chilean Araucanas.
The so-called Americauna appears to be in large part a refined Quechua de Artes without tufts but carrying the brown breasted demes of the Quetro."

oh I found the paper.. and it states that Punnett was segregating cream from hens imported from Chile, were they Ameraucanas? who is to say they were other native american(south american) breed, like Rapanuis or any of the Olmec(Quechua, Quetro) breeds?

http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/48/327.pdf

I don't think they had names for these birds, just simply Chilean hens.

OK, BPS indicates three recognized legbars, they are gold, silver, and cream. The silver and cream have silver down.
Quote: Here is the standard for the gold.

Female: Brown stripe type. The stripe should be broad and very dark brown, extending over the head, neck and rump. The edges of the stripe should be clearly defined rather than blurred and blending with the ground colour - the sharper the contrast, especially over the rump, the better. The ground colour should be dark brown, though distinctly paler than the stripe. A pale ground colour and a narrow or discontinuours stripe are to be avoided. A light head spot should be visible, though usually is small. It should be well defined in outline and should show up as clearly as possible against the brown background.

Male: The down is much paler in shade, the pattern being blurred and washed out from head to rump.

its Almost Impossible to tell Silver from gold or from red enhanced silver to gold wildtype(e+) chick down, but if I had to guesstimate I would say they look gold to me(cream should have not effect on chick down as barring does)

I think that silver down is necessary because silver is the base of the bird, on top of which is cream. If brown is the base, can I guess that you are headed to gold or other colors? Nicalandia, how does this stand in laymen terms. Can you tell me better?

All the banded male chicks and can pair them with photos through juveniles. My lightest male, had red lobes. No good so he is with a friend of a friend. Another male, same color pattern is gone due to behavior. If it is helpful I can photo pair from chicks to now for the two cockerels I currently hold and the same for females. Let me know if this holds any clues for us. I also have week old offspring chirping behind me.

All the banded male chicks and can pair them with photos through juveniles. My lightest male, had red lobes. No good so he is with a friend of a friend. Another male, same color pattern is gone due to behavior. If it is helpful I can photo pair from chicks to now for the two cockerels I currently hold and the same for females. Let me know if this holds any clues for us. I also have week old offspring chirping behind me.

The more pictures the better :)

Link to a site that we may already have. Posting again, just in case. https://sites.google.com/site/creamlegbarsonline/gallery. I've put a few inquiries to breeders in the UK, here's an example of a response. Haven't explored the Practical Poultry avenue. Posting for those who might want to check this out. In terms of photos, I'll need a bit of time that I don't have this moment, but I'll get there. Thanks all!

Hello Heather, this is a problem with British birds also. They should not
be gold. Here there is a movement now to try and get back to how they
should be. I am not involved as I am just concentrating on Rhodebars. The
www.PracticalPoultry.co.uk (a magazine) has a well used forum where people
experienced in genetics discuss this and could advise if you would like to
join. They could certainly point you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom