Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Pics
if the account of white birds coming from two GFF parents(male and females) is true, the Yes, that's a correct assessment
I am uncomfortable with calling Greenfire out for impure birds - we simply do not know when or who or exactly what the reason is that our birds are the way they are. I have a female that is a perfect specimen of a cream legbar (I have posted her and my boy on UK sites for critque) and my male may have been dark banded but I do believe he was cream colored but maybe only carrying 1 cream gene. I have seen a number of correctly colored females here in the USA. The males are more problematic for color but some seem quite promising. The white sports show up in the British lines also and in my, albiet meager, experience it seems to be something that may occur in many breeds as they were all mixed at one point to create each breed beyond the initial Jungle Fowl. White sports show up with BCM's and Ameraucanas and other breeds from what I read here on BYC. Chocolate was apparantly a nice happenstance during breeding. I have seen no silver birds here in the US but that is not to say they do not exist as a lot of folks do not participate in the forums the way we are doing.
Gold legbars do not lay blue eggs.
If we keep breeding dark birds to dark birds we will keep getting dark birds. The only way I can see to solve the issue is to selectively breed towards the cream which may be where the initial problem occured but who really knows. Ignorance can ruin a flock quite quickly and easily. But selective breeding is what one has to do for the betterment of all flocks. Reading and understanding the difference between the gold and cream allele and silver and other aspects that play into these birds has been really beneficial. I have my done my own research and reading and have my own ideas about the genetics and possibilities of the breed that may not be the opinion of others. But whatever our goals are, if we are looking to re-work or re-name or re-invent what we have into something else or keep what we have and work towards one or more specific standards, whatever the goals are, I personally would prefer to have a more broad-based collection of ideas, reseach and information before we start casting any aspersions on who's birds are pure or not, in such a specific way. I would not like to be part of that. JMHO.

http://www.harislau.info/legbar

The Cream Legbar

Origin:
Great Britain
Recognised by The Poultry Club in 1933

Breeder:
Professor Reg Punnett, Cambridge UK

Parentage:
Brown Leghorn
Barred Rock
Birds from Aracauna Indians (Patagonia)

Classification:
Soft Feather Light Breed
Autosexing

Weight:
Cocks - 7 to 7 ½lb
Hens - 5 to 6lb

Ring Size:
Cock - 18mm
Hen - 16mm

Productivity:
250+

Egg Colour:
Pastel Blue

For some unknown reason in recent years the Cream Legbar is frequently, and incorrectly, called either the "Cream Crested Legbar" or the "Crested Legbar" both names are incorrect, the correct name is Cream Legbar!

In 1927 well known plant collector Clarence Elliott from Stow-in-the-Wolds in Gloucestershire returned from his travels in the Welsh speaking country of Patagonia in South America bringing with him three hens of the 'blue-egged fowl of Chile'. It is known that these blue egg laying hens had been kept by the Araucana Indians of Chile and Patagonia for more than four centuries. In addition to laying blue, green or olive shelled eggs the birds of the Araucauna Indians had crests of feathers on their heads, and many of them were 'rumpless' having no tail. Elliott's three hens subsequently went to Cambridge University where Professor Reg Punnett was studying poultry genetics and were instrumental, with the Legbar, in producing the blue egg laying Cream Legbar.

The Cream Legbar differs from the Gold Legbar and Silver Legbar which lay cream or white eggs in two ways; firstly it lays eggs with blue shells, and secondly it has a crest or head tuft, both characteristics inherited from 'blue-egged fowl of Chile': it would probably have been better if the Cream Legbar had been given a different name! Some years later other 'blue-egged fowl of Chile' were introduced into the USA and Britain and were standardised into the 'Americauna' and the 'Araucana' both breeds laying bluish or greenish eggs.

In recent years there has been a boom in the sales of 'novelty coloured eggs' in up-market supermarkets; these are produced by modern commercial hybrids which lay eggs in a range of pastel blues, greens, and pinkish brown. Some of these hybrids include "Legbar" in their name and it is important that these are not confused with the blue egg laying Cream Legbar. Unfortunately there are now many cross-breds masquerading as the Cream Legbar.

The Cream Legbar belongs to a group of breeds known as Autosexing Breeds: the 'barring' pattern is sex-linked, the cockerels having two chromosomes for barring and the pullets only one. Day old chicks of a barred breed have a light patch on the top of the head, in chicks with black down both sexes are very similar. When the barring is combined with brown colouring the light spot on the head of the pullets is small and well defined, an in addition there is a very clearly defined dark stripe down the body. In the cockerels the light patch covers most of the head, the down is much paler and there is only a very blurred indistinct body stripe. The Breed Standard give a description of the down colouring.

The Poultry Club of Great Breed Standard for the Legbar includes the Gold Legbar, Silver Legbar, and the Cream Legbar, though the Cream Legbar unlike the other is crested, and also lays a blue egg. The standard defines the Cream Legbar as a Light Breed with the average mature cock weighing in at 7lb and the hen at 5lb. They are upright, muscular bodied, sprightly birds with the typical wedge shaped body of the laying breeds. The Cream Legbar has the typical flighty temperament which one expects to find in a light breed; they are a rather 'twitchy' and inquisitive breed. The cocks have a predisposition to aggressive bevaviour!

The cock is a handsome bird with cream and grey barred feathers. It is an upright bird with a large curved tail. Behind the large single comb the cock sports a small crest or spiky tuft of feathers inherited from its ancestors of the South American Indians. The hens tend to have a floppy comb and a much neater, larger crest than the male; they have brownish silver-grey plumage with broad smudged barring, and unlike the male, have a warm salmon coloured breast. The hens may show some brown colouring to either side of the crest, whilst the cocks may have some chestnut feathers in the crest and in the saddle hackles. The breed was created as a laying breed and colour faults pale into insignificance in comparison to sky blue egg colour and productivity.

Hen eggs start off with white shells, the final shell colour being added as the egg is formed in the oviduct, the colour is not fixed until the egg is dry and dark brown eggs often show white patches where the colour has been wiped off in the nest before it was fully dry -this is especially true of dark brown matt eggs. Professor Punnett carried out research into the blue eggs of Clarence Elliott's three South American hens and in 1933 established that the blue egg colour was the result of a dominant gene (O), and unlike other shell colours the blue of the Araucana egg is not superficial but rather the entire shell is coloured which is a useful guide to the relative purity of the stock in relation to original Araucanas.

I think that silver down is necessary because silver is the base of the bird, on top of which is cream. If brown is the base, can I guess that you are headed to gold or other colors? Nicalandia, how does this stand in laymen terms. Can you tell me better?

I think I am entirely confused on down. Is silver down dominant to gold or the other way around? Also, GaryDean26 has given me some excellent information. With his permission I hope to share it.

Blackbirds13, please correct me, but I believe cream is recessive. If the original cockerels were cream mated to cream pullets, then their offspring would be cream. Does it matter? Not in the sense of scapegoating, but in the sense of this is where we started and what does that mean with having a standard. Does the UK standard make sense to us? Do we make the effort for cream and the UK standard?

Do we look at a different path? All this comes out in discussion. GFF can hardly not be part of a discussion and yes, perhaps some criticism. Should it be unfair criticism, I hope not. Should GFF have critique, I hope so. They are a major importer of rare birds that are being widely distributed. Their choice of stock should not hinder, but improve meeting a standard. Even though my understanding is at novice level, I am participating. GFF can choose to participate or not. They have knowledge and opinion. I just believe they will exhibit it when and where they deem best. I believe they are choosing not to comment at this time and that is different from being excluded. There is plenty to discuss and understand. Please help if you see a way to better this!

Last edited:
I am uncomfortable with calling Greenfire out for impure birds - we simply do not know when or who or exactly what the reason is that our birds are the way they are. I have a female that is a perfect specimen of a cream legbar (I have posted her and my boy on UK sites for critque) and my male may have been dark banded but I do believe he was cream colored but maybe only carrying 1 cream gene. I have seen a number of correctly colored females here in the USA. The males are more problematic for color but some seem quite promising. The white sports show up in the British lines also and in my, albiet meager, experience it seems to be something that may occur in many breeds as they were all mixed at one point to create each breed beyond the initial Jungle Fowl. White sports show up with BCM's and Ameraucanas and other breeds from what I read here on BYC. Chocolate was apparantly a nice happenstance during breeding. I have seen no silver birds here in the US but that is not to say they do not exist as a lot of folks do not participate in the forums the way we are doing.
Gold legbars do not lay blue eggs.
No one is calling anyone out. Obviously when trying to decide why the MAJORITY our birds don't meet a standard, we try to figure out why, so we have to trace back to the source and decide why, what, who, etc. We aren't the Ameraucana folks running around saying this isn't a Legbar because the color is wrong, we are saying WHY is the color wrong.

It doesn't matter is a Gold Legbar lays a white/cream egg. It matters whether or not they were bred into the Cream Legbar to enhance diversity. Breeding one color of Legbar to another doesn't make it an impure Legbar, it's still a Legbar. What it does do is mess up the coloring of the standard we're trying to create/meet.

GFF can answer with, "they are pure" all they want, and they won't be misinforming anyone. We just want to figure out the why behind our color issues. If they used Gold LB to increase the pool, we kinda need to know. If not, we have to keeping going down the line to figure it out. You gotta know why before you can say this is the best way to fix it.

Quote: The first description of the Araucana to be published in this country was done by John Robinson in the Reliable Poultry Journal of 1923, with photos showing tufted rumpless birds. Later, in 1925, Mr. Keller of the Pratt Experimental Farm in Pennsylvania wrote about his small flock – the first Araucana imported to the USA. The earliest imports were mostly of selected rumpless and tufted varieties. Later imports were made up of “Araucana” of all types, among which were bearded muffed tailed varieties, all of which then were bred here in the USA. All of these were at that time labeled “Araucana”.

Of special importance to the Ameraucana history is that a shipwreck of a Chilean freighter many decades ago, in the Western Isles of Scotland, established there a type of blue egg layer from Chile, which were tailed, bearded and muffed, and these birds became the forbearer for the birds now recognized as the Standard “ARAUCANA” in Britain and Australia. These vary only little from our present “AMERAUCANA” Standard. Some of these birds at times reportedly produce tufts, and also rumplessness, showing the possibility of the presence of regressive traits with some of these genes.from the Ameraucana breeders club no they are not imported from the usa..

this bit from wiki:
Storey AA, Ramírez JM, Quiroz D, et al. (June 2007). "Radiocarbon and
DNA evidence for a pre-Columbian introduction of Polynesian chickens to Chile".

No one is calling anyone out. Obviously when trying to decide why the MAJORITY our birds don't meet a standard, we try to figure out why, so we have to trace back to the source and decide why, what, who, etc. We aren't the Ameraucana folks running around saying this isn't a Legbar because the color is wrong, we are saying WHY is the color wrong.

It doesn't matter is a Gold Legbar lays a white/cream egg. It matters whether or not they were bred into the Cream Legbar to enhance diversity. Breeding one color of Legbar to another doesn't make it an impure Legbar, it's still a Legbar. What it does do is mess up the coloring of the standard we're trying to create/meet.

GFF can answer with, "they are pure" all they want, and they won't be misinforming anyone. We just want to figure out the why behind our color issues. If they used Gold LB to increase the pool, we kinda need to know. If not, we have to keeping going down the line to figure it out. You gotta know why before you can say this is the best way to fix it.
I'm not sure we will ever really know and I'm not opposed to conjecture and research. I like a bit of banter and debate but this is a puzzle I'm not sure will be answered with any certainty or to everyone's satisfaction. And I don't see any point in making the birds out to be less than purebred or impure in someway even if only from a salesman point of view. These are newly imported to the USA and most folks still do not know what they are and to have them thought of at the onset as inferior in some way just does not serve any purpose what so ever. I'm more concerned about where we go from here what do we do with what we have, some of which needs more work than others but I would think that like any other breed the what and how to improve leaves us lots of food for fodder. My interests lie in developing some form of standard or standards we can have a consensus on to work towards. I may end up agreeing or not agreeing with what is decided in part or whole but I think it behooves us to have something to reference when folks think of a Cream Legbar here in the US, a reference for those interested in acquiring the breed or for moving forward with a breeding plan towards a SOP and perhaps someday APA. I am not opposed to a historical discussion but I don't think we can say with any certainty that they were bred to the Gold variety or when such an act may have occurred or what else may have taken place or when or why...who knows...and I actually really do not care. I am not saying that anyone else might not find that avenue one they want to trace but I do think that one can set up some standards to at least create a basic jumping off point without necessitating a conclusive end to that discussion. I don't want to get bogged down with stuff I cannot alter. It is what it is. We have good birds, maybe a bit darker or golder for some but nothing that a few years of good breeding cannot alter. We won't know unless we go forward. Maybe our birds are just fine as they are but maybe they can be bred to be whatever we choose them to be but what that is...I'm doing this to get to that endpoint...That's all.

and on that point I do think we may need some form of sliding scale like - saddle color could read 'straw colored to cream with.... "and the same with the hackle or maybe a score card for the lack of dilution of the gold towards the cream so say -1 pt for color other than cream or cream preferred but straw color acceptable?
I like the upright type and the light weight nature of the breed. They are meant to be layers not necessarily dual purpose but they make great chicken soup. I know nothing of the egg production as I don't keep records...but am happy with what I have. They are reliable layers but for some they seem to go broody so that maybe a good topic for discussion as some folks prefer a natural hatch process for a variety of reasons.

I think I may need to follow the advise I give my son and just step away from the computer for a while.

I think I am entirely confused on down. Is silver down dominant to gold or the other way around? Also, GaryDean26 has given me some excellent information. With his permission I hope to share it.

Blackbirds13, please correct me, but I believe cream is recessive. If the original cockerels were cream mated to cream pullets, then their offspring would be cream. Does it matter? Not in the sense of scapegoating, but in the sense of this is where we started and what does that mean with having a standard. Does the UK standard make sense to us? Do we make the effort for cream and the UK standard?

Do we look at a different path? All this comes out in discussion. GFF can hardly not be part of a discussion and yes, perhaps some criticism. Should it be unfair criticism, I hope not. Should GFF have critique, I hope so. They are a major importer of rare birds that are being widely distributed. Their choice of stock should not hinder, but improve meeting a standard. Even though my understanding is at novice level, I am participating. GFF can choose to participate or not. They have knowledge and opinion. I just believe they will exhibit it when and where they deem best. I believe they are choosing not to comment at this time and that is different from being excluded. There is plenty to discuss and understand. Please help if you see a way to better this!
my novice understanding is that silver and gold are an allelomorphic pair and cream and gold are also, but separate from gold. The cream and gold are autosomal while the other pair may be sex linked. Silver can cover cream or gold so your silver bird's traits will not be known until bred. The Brown Leghorn is gold based and has a gold brown tint to it one side of the edge on the secondaries and this color is dependent upon gold being the base color of the bird. If the cream is dominant over the gold there will be no golden color present and the bird will be cream. This color on the secondaries has nothing to do with the chestnut on the shoulders. you can start seeing the difference in the chicks at about 4 weeks I think. I've tried taking pictures but it's hard to capture as it's not so obvious. I only have 2 so far that are cream colored in the hackle and the one chick has hatchmates with golden hackles - really light colored but not cream...maybe in my F2's. Makes me sad I lost that rooster...but life happens.
I am not sure how they are linked or if it's the same thing but I have read about the ig gene which may dilute gold so 1 copy will lighten and 2 will create cream. I have still yet to really investigate that but I think my rooster had 1 cream and 1 gold which is why some came out gold but some male and female seem to be cream...and my boy with the crooked toes because he hatched in the turner was definitely silver downed...not sure about the female i'd have to check but some of them were very dark, much darker than hatched this summer, from the same pair.

This is just my working theory and in a few months I'll know for sure just how wrong I was
lol.png

done for sure now.

Ok, more cell phone pics but they say the best camera is the one you have on you. So here are a couple better pics of them. The hen always has a high/more pinched tail than the rooster which is one thing I am working to improve in my line. The second pic shows the color better than the others

Wow! I've been away for a weekend w/out internet access and this thread has just exploded!

While I catch up on the fifteen new pages of information, I'd like to add that I've just opened a yahoo group for those of us working on specific documents i.e. standard, history and club formation stuff which is getting buried here. The group is titled US Cream Legbar Club Working Group since I didn't want to use the "official" club name until we have one. I've set the group for initial membership approval and for first postings to prevent spam bots. Just reference BYC in the request to join so I know you're part of this working group. Please post drafts with date and author to the files section so everyone knows which copies have been superceded. Hopefully this will make specific docs/drafts easier to find and work with while those wishing to toss ideas and discuss in general can continue here.

There is also another group I forgot I had joined several months back called the Cream Legbar Breeders. Some folks there, who may also be here, have recently begun working on a Legbar history. They may be interested in joining this discussion as well.

Quote:
I agree completely, without a standard we have no guidelines to breed towards. I don't care if they imported champion bloodlines or not, within 2 generations any quality flock can be destroyed by non-selective breeding. and just my 2 cents, there are other imported breeds that don't have the same standards. For example, Welsummers were an imported breed and there is a different standard for North America vs England. I don't feel that the European standard has to be ours on CL either. I do think we need a standard soon, or breeding will be going in many different directions with no continuity at all. If you're planning on selling hatching eggs or chicks - what will you tell buyers regarding the quality of your flock, what advice will you be able to give them regarding what they should breed towards.

Back
Top Bottom