Cream Legbars - do I have it right?

RoseHawke

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 26, 2008
Central Alabama
I divvied up the chiclets this morning, taking my best guess as to which are cockerals and which pullets. The four I'm pretty positive are cockerals, the seven are pullets although there's a couple in there that I'm not 100 percent sure. Would sure like some second opinions!

Attachments

• chicks1.jpg
    chicks1.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 53
  • pullets.jpg
    pullets.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 47
Well, it should have been right, but one of those "girls" is looking more like a boy these days. I let a best estimate trio go, which should've left me with five pullets and three roos, but the chook I refer to as "Goldilocks" has a larger comb, very little crest and is just larger.

S/he was one of the definite chipmunk chicks, no light spot on the head and best I could tell thought she had the "eyeliner" markings as well. However, that said, S/he was comparatively lighter than the other girls but I thought was the best bet for a pullet out of the three that weren't so definite. C'est la vie.

ETA: Oh, they'll be six weeks old Friday, 07/17/2020

Attachments

• goldilocks.jpg
    goldilocks.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I see at least two males in that group
Oh, yes, there's three definite roos. "Goldilocks", the one in the center, was the one that was supposed to be a pullet. I'm going to have to cull the cockerels. Can't have roosters :(.

Just an addendum - the other three cockerels are all coming out cream/silverish - Goldilocks here is feathering out, well, gold.

Last edited:
Well, it should have been right, but one of those "girls" is looking more like a boy these days. I let a best estimate trio go, which should've left me with five pullets and three roos, but the chook I refer to as "Goldilocks" has a larger comb, very little crest and is just larger.

S/he was one of the definite chipmunk chicks, no light spot on the head and best I could tell thought she had the "eyeliner" markings as well. However, that said, S/he was comparatively lighter than the other girls but I thought was the best bet for a pullet out of the three that weren't so definite. C'est la vie.

ETA: Oh, they'll be six weeks old Friday, 07/17/2020

I’d wait and see with her. Cockerels should be black and white but she has complete female colouring. That may be an issue with the line but it’s possible she’s just a fast maturer.

I’d wait and see with her. Cockerels should be black and white but she has complete female colouring. That may be an issue with the line but it’s possible she’s just a fast maturer.
I certainly hope so. I'm giving him/her the benefit of the doubt for a while anyway. Although this individual is also sparring a bit with the obvious cockerels. It's just a striking difference in comb size, incipient crests, etc. As I recall, the pen these came from the cock bird was classic black and cream/white while the hens all looked remarkably similar with the gold coloration. But I've also run across mention somewhere that the auto-sexing feature can be "lost" if not reliably chosen for when breeding.

*sigh* Well, "Goldilocks" started crowing this morning. So that "pullet" had everybody fooled. Of course he waited until I'd already re-homed the other three. Fortunately the fellow I gave them to said at the time that if it did turn out to be a roo he'd take it as well and they're not all that far away. We can meet up with them at Tractor Supply.

Back
Top Bottom