Cream Legbars

Cream Legbars are a gold based bird (let's leave silver out of the discussion).

So if you can identify the gold and where it should be expressed, that is an important starting point.
In the males, the gold is found in the crest, the hackles, the saddle feathers and the wings (primary/secondaries).
Other "colors", i.e. "chestnut", may be found on some areas such as the crest, shoulders & back, but should be very limited.

In the females gold is concentrated in the crest and hackle feathers, although it also influences the body color.

When they are homozygous for cream, i.e. both parents have contributed a cream gene so the offspring is "double for cream", then those areas of the body which express gold will be diluted to cream. Cream is significantly lighter than gold. A pitcher of cream is a good visual. Whipping cream that has been developed into a very pale buttery color is another good visual. Please note that all of the gold is diluted, not just some areas.

Most males have mismatched hackle and saddle feathers, which means the hackle feathers are lacking gold while the saddle feathers are clearly gold. The top of the hackle feathers may express gold which then disappears toward the bottom of the hackle feathers, as if the gold is doing a fade from top to bottom. This "halo" effect reminds me of the fade in Marans hackle feathers (which is not desirable). When the gold is diluted to cream, the hackle and saddle feathers still look a bit mismatched because the saddle feathers may have less definition/barring.

The best tell for females is a nicely contrasted hackle - to - body feathers. The hackle feathers clearly standout from the body color. This is still true even if the bird has a black crest, or heavily barred hackle feathers, and is generally more melanized.

Here's two hens with black crests that are sisters, the top hen is gold, the bottom hen is cream.
You may also be able to see the diffuse gold through the body of the top hen.

Here's two hens with gold/cream crests. The one on the left has a gold crest and gold hackles, the one on the right has a cream crest and cream hackles.
They are sisters, see parents below.

Here's their parents, some of my early stock. The hen is cream and the rooster appears gold.

From this mating I learned that the rooster appears gold but is heterozygous for cream (has one copy of cream), i.e. is "split for cream".
His gold offspring from this mating are also split for cream.
His cream offspring from this mating have two copies of gold, and two copies of cream which dilutes the gold (i.e. double for cream).
He also has a lot of chestnut.

Here's a different cream rooster and hen, so you can see their hackles are the same color.
The hen has the advantage of contrasting body feathers, while the rooster tends to look more uniform across the body unless he has areas of chestnut.
(his rival was outside the fence...)

And finally, the extremes in my breeding flocks: a very cream hen in the back and a decidedly gold hen in the front.

I have been able to project gold vs cream in my flocks from their down colors.
Here's some pretty typical cream examples. The pullet has a cream crest (not black).

These two feathered in gold.

Hope that was helpful. This is what I have learned from my flocks.
Wow! That was an awesome post!! Thank you for delineating the differences between the colors, and helping us with pictures of the adults, parentage, and chicks too. You are an absolute GEM
goodpost.gif

My oldest Legbar roo is 10.5 weeks old
He has been crowing since around 7.5 weeks old
Around 9 weeks old he started dragging the pullets (same age) around by the head and neck. They are very unhappy and are actually afraid of him now. Obviously they are no where near ready to breed

I am squirting Mr Jerkwad with water when he does this with mixed results.
About 75% of the time everyone co exists fine but that 25%.....

Is the Roo going to get worse or better with time? I can't have him terrifying them. I've never had a Rooster who did this except very briefly when breeding

I have noticed them being total jerks during puberty. Usually they settle down. If they don't they end up on my plate. This is one reason why I keep just a few roosters.

if he is going to get better will it be soon? LOL My poor baby pullets are becoming very afraid of him. Yet the barnevelder roos (who are not crowing yet) they like and are polite. so far

I have sold most my females, so I have around 50 little cockerels. They are all belly buttons. I just released them into my layer coop. The hens will stay there the roosters will become soup. some sooner than others. I caught one of them picking on Andy tonight. He is the one I plan to show. I grabbed Andy and was holding him and inspecting him and I found scabs on his comb and feathers pulled out from his neck at the top of his hackles......

This displeases me much. I might be having skinny chicken soup sooner than I thought. Besides disfiguring Andy they are chasing my hens thinking they are "men" now. I either need to get my butt in gear and get the bachelor pad done, or take some heads....

Yeah, until butcher time, I have hens hiding all over when the boys are hormonal teenagers. Mine are 6 to 8 weeks old right now and all still in the grow out pen. Old Jake will mess them up if I let them out yet.

I have found that the young cockerels mature quickly and are pretty obnoxious. In the recent hatch, had one grabbing the back of pullets' heads and trying to mount at 7 weeks. HOWEVER - I have had other boys of other breeds act like this too (New Hampshires, in particular). Some just mature really early.

You REALLY need to separate them (all boys) from the pullets. IMHO, Keep them separate (and not in sight of them, to reduce fighting), and then cull those you are sure you don't want to keep. Of those you want to grow out, you'll need to house together but watch to ensure they don't fight (in which case, separate housing). In my experience, once the pullets are laying, if you let the cockerel that you've chosen to be with them court them from afar (across a fence, etc.), he will behave better. My CL rooster is very VERY good to his girls - protective, and not at all abusive. But he's a grown up.

They are all horrible vicious little things as teenagers.

JMHO.

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
I don't have any way to separate them all right now. I have 26 chicks in 3 pens different ages. pen 1 are the 10/11 week olds, pen 2 are the 6 week olds and pen 3 are the 2 week olds

That is all the space I have.
The eventual plan is to house each of the 3 breeds in their own pen - sell/place or eat the extras and end up with:
Cream Legbars (target is 4-5 hens and 1-2 roos)
Barnevelders (target is 4-5 hens and 1-2 roos )
Delawares (3 hens 1 Roo for now)

Back
Top Bottom