Cream Legbars

I posted this in the Hatching forum but thought I'd post it here too since this is one of my CL chicks. I need some advice.

4 of my 7 hatched (2 CLs, 2 CL/EEs) - 3 without problem but the 4th (CL) stalled - she broke a large hole but she just couldn't break through. I waited a day and figured she was a goner anyway but she kept chirping and chirping so I helped her out. Everything was fine - no blood, yolk sac absorbed - I think the shell was just super thick and hard to break and she couldn't do it herself.

She's been out of the shell about an hour (she's back in the incubator now) but she can't seem to get out of her "egg" position. Her neck is curled under and she can't seem to get her feet under her. She's flopping around.

I guess I waited too long to help. It's like she was in the shell with her neck down too long and now she's stuck that way.

Should I do anything? Leave her in the incubator for awhile and see what happens?

Is this "wry neck"? Or something worse?
I know sometimes if they aren't able to push themselves out of their shells they usually have leg issues which causes them to remain in that "egg position." This could be part of the problem with her neck as well. You could try a couple drops of polyvisol without iron and I usually prop my weak babies up on a rolled up washcloth

I posted this in the Hatching forum but thought I'd post it here too since this is one of my CL chicks. I need some advice.

4 of my 7 hatched (2 CLs, 2 CL/EEs) - 3 without problem but the 4th (CL) stalled - she broke a large hole but she just couldn't break through. I waited a day and figured she was a goner anyway but she kept chirping and chirping so I helped her out. Everything was fine - no blood, yolk sac absorbed - I think the shell was just super thick and hard to break and she couldn't do it herself.

She's been out of the shell about an hour (she's back in the incubator now) but she can't seem to get out of her "egg" position. Her neck is curled under and she can't seem to get her feet under her. She's flopping around.

I guess I waited too long to help. It's like she was in the shell with her neck down too long and now she's stuck that way.

Should I do anything? Leave her in the incubator for awhile and see what happens?

Is this "wry neck"? Or something worse?

I think this is because during the extra day they grow a bit and in the only directing they can in the shell.

They usually just grow out of it in a day or 2 as long as it was not too severe. I would hang tight!

My broody Cochin hatched a CL pullet chick yesterday, I got a look at her this morn, cutest little chick ever lol. I really think she might be the cutest CL pullet chick I have hatched yet, she is beautifully marked. I hope to get a pic of her soon. She only has one egg left and I don't know if itll hatch she might be a lone chick for mama to raise.

I think I also have a Marans hen that is contemplating going broody, just when I thought I was almost done hatching for the year
hmm.png

My broody Cochin hatched a CL pullet chick yesterday, I got a look at her this morn, cutest little chick ever lol. I really think she might be the cutest CL pullet chick I have hatched yet, she is beautifully marked. I hope to get a pic of her soon. She only has one egg left and I don't know if itll hatch she might be a lone chick for mama to raise.

I think I also have a Marans hen that is contemplating going broody, just when I thought I was almost done hatching for the year
hmm.png
yay can't wait to see pict!
caf.gif

Congrats to all you hatchers! Nice, healthy looking chicks. I have a little less than two weeks to go on my next hatch.

I took some pics of my CL mama and her chicks. She is still super protective of them and trying to kill my shoe most of the time but the chicks are all thriving. I was able to get them all weighed and banded without losing any limbs to angry broody.

There are 6 CL chicks, two females and four males and 7 sexlink males she adopted (if anyone wants a CL x SLW male chick let me know, I have plenty!). The boys love to ride on her back.

Back
Top Bottom