Cream Legbars

Mine has never been aggressive... he isn't cuddly friendly, but never mean... I let him have his space and only pick him up when needed and he is alert and protective of his girls...
smile.png

Yes, my Dumbledore is definitely not a cuddler. I give him his space, and have only picked him up when I need to (once to check him, once to weigh him). I find that approaching them all like cats does work - we have an understanding, and he will cross the paddock to walk over to me when I'm outside, as if to just say "hi", and I talk to him (and he seems to listen). (I'm not a big treat giver, so it's not that...) I was picking up each of the three girls the other day in the coop (to check them out), and he sort of paced right outside the coop and made sort of frustrated growling sounds, but he seemed to understand that I wasn't doing any harm, and stayed out of my way.

I have heard and read that cuddled males can become aggressive to humans as they get older. So I try not to handle them more than necessary, other than tending or weighing (and I have stopped allowing the super friendly 12 week old Naked Neck boys to sit in my lap - which frustrates them, as a couple will actually hop up by my feet begging to be picked up). I get my cuddling fix from my girls...

- Ant Farm

wink.png
At the age when they reach full size.

okay I couldn't resist -- seriously now at a couple of months-- your full size eggs (partly depending on the size of your female -- big big female + bigger eggs; petite when full grown female smaller eggs)-- when they hover at about 2oz I think that is going to be near your max. I have an Isbar though who is 3 1/2 pounds and lays a large egg. If one were a farmer who cared about feed conversion etc. That would be approaching the idea -- she doesn't need much to keep her own weight up -- and what she eats is converted to laying power. FWIW

Thanks!
lol.png

Lissa is now laying at 54g (1.9 oz), Paula is at 52g. I have a scale in the kitchen and weigh the eggs when I bring them in (pretty easy, there are only two max a day right now). I have fun looking at the weights over time...

I just had that 54g egg for breakfast. Yum!
thumbsup.gif

- Ant Farm

Hope so too--- I have eliminated two that were horrible mean - just on temperament, and two I have here are definitely not for beginners or children, and one of the CL males here is very docile - not however friendly.   That being said -- there are no males that are more considerate of their hens than CLs from what my limited experience has been...and one EE male was so hard on females that the previous owner thought that he had murdered one of them, and he went after and terrorized an Ideal 236 that I had - and subsequently spent the remainder of his life in prison.  (chicken prison).

-- Not appropo to this thread...but the Blue Isbar male I have is charming, will eat out of my hand, and has trained me to come to a 4' roost in the corner of his pen when I am working in the adjacent pen -- and feed him.  Now that is one smart chicken!  It would be nice if all my males here had that set of qualities. 

Hope you get the cockerel and he turns out to have a good disposition.   You will have to report back with news.  :O)

I know that each chicken has a different personality, one CL roo could be lovely and the other vicious. Lets hope he turns out to be lovely! I am very pleased to hear that your Isbar roo is nice, I have had no such luck in finding any in the UK, but have been looking to get some eggs shipped from either Sweden or US, but I couldn't find anyone willing to ship me some until yesterday! I mentioned on the BYC Isbar thread my need for some
Isbies, and somone told me to join the Isbars USA facebook group, I told the members and somone in the US could ship me some in the spring! Whether any hatch or not is a different matter, but still exciting! :lol:

On the topic of mean roosters, my Legbar roosters have never been aggressive. The adult roos I have tend to be very skittish, but this little cockerel (6 months old) lets me pick him up and even let me get really close to take pictures. He was so good and just stood there. I think chickens are a lot like people in that they all have their own personalities.

On the topic of mean roosters, my Legbar roosters have never been aggressive. The adult roos I have tend to be very skittish, but this little cockerel (6 months old) lets me pick him up and even let me get really close to take pictures. He was so good and just stood there. I think chickens are a lot like people in that they all have their own personalities.

Color-wise I think that your CL is showing 'cream' more than most of the very light ones--- I see a definite contrast between the white on the wings and the color of hackles and saddle.

Also nice tail angle and nice full tail -- and good yellows in beak and legs. the comb is straight-looking too.

No wonder he is posing -- he knows he has a lot going for him. Thanks for posting his photo.

Lovely Roo!

I'll take skittish over aggressive any day! I hope my boys don't grow up aggressive. So far so good, but I don't mess with them much. I just put down two English Orp cockerels for being mean. Mean roosters make it not fun having chickens. :(

When they are free-ranging with hens I find my roosters manage to stay just out of reach; easier to catch them with someone to help.
The CL bachelors in the rooster run are easy to pick up in a confined area, may get squirmy if they want down, but don't peck etc (although I have had to get rid of a couple that didn't have good attributes one way or another). If needed for a show or general maintenance, I can bathe them, clip their toenails, etc. That is also easier with two people, but not because they are mean.

Color-wise I think that your CL is showing 'cream' more than most of the very light ones--- I see a definite contrast between the white on the wings and the color of hackles and saddle.

Also nice tail angle and nice full tail -- and good yellows in beak and legs. the comb is straight-looking too.

No wonder he is posing -- he knows he has a lot going for him. Thanks for posting his photo.
I agree and would like to comment on ChicKat's color comment.
That is what I have also noticed in my CL roosters. The creamy version is light but does look different than the white of the wings.
Side by side, the "cream" roosters and "cream" hens have matching hackle colors.
Free-ranging it is not as obvious because the hens have more body color than the roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom