Cream Legbars

My batch is slowly growing up. This is one of my favorite hens.

Sometimes you have to work with what you have. This is Athos my largest rooster. His brother D'Artanian has better color but a undesirable comb.

Hi

My 2 cream leg bar pullets are about 19 weeks old. I think I have one gold and one cream?

The gold is about half the size as everybody else in the flock, she was always small even as a chick and last to feather as well. I was not sure she was going to make it, but so far so good.

This is my first experience with cream legbars , so far I like them, the gold one is on the bottom of the pecking order. and is very skittish wants nothing to do with me, but the cream one is coming around , there very sweet mainly calm just not lap chickens. -Dom

Has anyone noticed when mix breeding CCLs if the auto sexing coloration is still somewhat valid? I did a mixed breed batch that just hatched and some have the yellow/white spot on top of head and some don't (the body colors are that of CCL as a semi wet/just hatched chick only more blurry and diluted color if that makes sense)...

The chicks are all CCL roo x an assortment of purebred hens

Has anyone noticed when mix breeding CCLs if the auto sexing coloration is still somewhat valid? I did a mixed breed batch that just hatched and some have the yellow/white spot on top of head and some don't (the body colors are that of CCL as a semi wet/just hatched chick only more blurry and diluted color if that makes sense)...

Depends if the hens are barred or not.

The auto-sexing is the result of a series of crosses over 5-6 generation to isolate the wild type plumage and the sex-linked barring. If you out cross to anything that is not barred and/or not carrying sexlinked barring your pure bred autosexing birds result in mix birds that are NOT pure bred for the auto-sexing traits. They won't be auto-sexing. If you use Cream Legbar girls with a solid colored boy you can still create sex-links though which can be sexed as day-old chicks.

Last edited:
The auto-sexing is the result of a series of crosses over 5-6 generation to isolate the wild type plumage and the sex-linked barring.  If you our cross to anything that is not barred and carrying sexlinked barring your pure bred autosexing birds result in mix birds that are NOT pure bred for the autosexing traits.  If you use Cream Lebar girls with a solid colored boy you can still create sex-linksj

Great info! Thanks
1f44d.png
1f44d.png
1f60a.png

Hello all, So i have a question that might not get the best responses...but im going to ask anyway.

First of all, I love my cream crested legbars. They are great layers of a beautiful large blue egg, they are sweet, they are beautiful. I love the autosexing trait. I started with 4 a year ago and added a couple but have hatched some out and gotten LOTS of males. Lost a couple to eggbound and one pullet in a crazy bad luck situation. Ive sold some but the males are REALLY hard to move and Ive even had to give some away just to get rid of them. There isnt a lot of meat on this breed i have found so not really worth feeding all that time and then butchering them. I have sold a few and now have 2 great males and 4 females.

I just hatched in the incubator and out of 14 eggs got 7 females and 4 males...my best female male ratio ever in a hatch.

Here is my problem and my actual question.

What do u do with an auto sexing breed when they hatch and you KNOW which are the males that are going to be difficult to get rid of? A lot of people use the word CULL and im not exactly sure what they mean by that....just separate, sell, give away....or...here is the sad and part im really asking about...destroy them. :( I would hate to do it BUT because of all my statements above it sounds like a decent option. I have no problem killing them to eat them but when they are chicks....i dont know.

Im just looking for thoughts out there.

Not a great topic i know.
thanks for your time.

Back
Top Bottom