CREAMY, DREAMY Rice Pudding...This one is a keeper!

msgenie516

The Happy Hen
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Nesconset, LI, NY
Hi,

A friend gave me this recipe and it is very rich and is not for those who are counting calories, but who’s counting?
hu.gif
I feel it is without a doubt the BEST rice pudding I have ever eaten.

It is mentioned several times in the recipe not to let it boil. This is very important as once I wasn’t watching carefully enough and it just began to boil, which made it look like it had fine scrambled eggs throughout. This totally ruined the texture of the pudding, as it should turn out very smooth and creamy.
sad.png
This makes me a bit nervous so the last time I made it, I stuck a candy thermometer in the pot and when it read 175 degrees, the pudding seemed thick enough. Please use your own judgment on this, as I don’t want to be responsible for ruining a quart of expensive heavy cream and 5 of your wonderful eggs!

I believe it is important to use the medium grain rice the recipe calls for as this seems to contribute to the smoother texture. I did have some trouble finding it in the stores, but one supermarket had it under the brand name of River Rice.

The following is the basic recipe but I lightly steamed ½ cup of golden raisins (just enough to plump them up) and added them just at the end of the cooking. After the pudding cools, I stir it once more just to make sure it’s thoroughly blended.

I also put cinnamon out if anyone wants to sprinkle some on the top. The last time I served it, I whipped up an extra pint of cream for topping to make it especially decadent!

Whenever I serve it, the first thing someone says (a person that hasn’t eaten it before) is “Oh, my God…” Then they can’t even bring themselves to talk anymore and just dig in!

Creamy, Dreamy Rice Pudding

Ingredients

2 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup uncooked regular white rice, medium grain (not parboiled)
4 cups heavy cream
5 extra-large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

Directions

Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Stir in the rice and return to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and cook until all of the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Check the pot occasionally and stir to prevent the rice from sticking.

Slowly stir 3 1/2 cups of the cream into the rice and stir gently over low heat until the cream is incorporated (make sure it does not boil). Remove the pan from the heat.

Whip the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high until light yellow and thick. Beat a little hot cream into the eggs, then stir this egg mixture into the rice until it's blended throughout.

Return the pudding to the heat and stir gently until it has thickened. It's very important not to let the mixture boil at this stage, as excess heat can curdle the eggs.

Remove the pudding from the heat and immediately stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of cream and the vanilla. Transfer the pudding to a heatproof bowl and let it cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface (this prevents a skin from forming on top) and refrigerate the pudding until it's cold. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

This makes a GENEROUS amount and I put it in my favorite square 2 ½ quart Corningware bowl (it fills it nearly to the top) to refrigerate it. It is a great dessert if you are expecting company for dinner as there is bound to be enough for everyone.

this is my grandmothers recipe as well except we've always used whole milk instead of cream. She sprinkles cinnamon on top after putting it in the bowl and actually we like the skin on top. It is very good.

Back
Top Bottom