Instant Pot Chicken Bog

South Dakota Guy

Songster
Feb 22, 2023
South Dakota
My Coop
My Coop
First, I want to make clear that this is not my recipe. I found the link for this recipe online, but the link is now dead. Luckily, I made a notepad version for me to save. Chicken Bog originates from the South Carolina Low Country in the mid 1800's, where they still have a Chicken Bog competition every year. This is a chicken and rice dish where the rice is supposed to be wetter than normal. That is what makes it a bog. It has become a winter comfort food around my house. As with all recipes, feel free to make adjustments to your particular taste. I prefer mine on the spicier side so I usually use Cajun Andouille sausage and I increase the Old Bay seasoning to 2 teaspoons. The recipe calls for chicken breast but use what you like.

Instant Pot Chicken Bog

January 6, 2019

Chicken bog is a Lowcountry recipe that I have come to know and love. Made primarily of rice, chicken, and sausage, it is a filling comfort food that comes together easily in the Instant Pot and makes a great dinner that everyone in my family loves.
For this recipe, you will need the following:

3-4 large chicken breasts

1 package of smoked sausage – cut into slices (12 to 16 oz)

5 cups of chicken broth

2 1/2 cups of long grain white rice (or any other rice you like)

1/2 tsp. (or 1 tsp. if you want it more spicy) Old Bay seasoning

2 Tbsp. Butter

1/4 tsp. Paprika

1 Onion diced (or diced dehydrated onion seasoning)

1 Stalk of Celery

1/2 tsp. Salt and 1/4 tsp. Pepper (more for seasoning to taste after cooking)

2 Cloves of Garlic (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)

2 Bay Leaves

For this recipe, I used frozen chicken breasts that I had on-hand. To begin with frozen chicken breasts, I added a cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and added 3 large frozen chicken breasts to the pot. Next, I sealed the Instant Pot, and set it to Manual for 10 minutes. (If you are new to Instant Pot cooking, this will start the cooking process but the timer will only begin counting down when the pot has come to pressure). When the pot beeps that it is finished, do a Quick Release.

When the chicken was finished cooking, I removed the chicken to cut it into small (bite-size pieces).

Once that was complete, I set the pot to saute and added the diced celery, butter, onion, garlic, and seasonings. Saute until the celery begins to soften and turn slightly translucent (about 3 minutes). Then, add in the sausage and cook for another 3 minutes. When finished, add the chicken back into the pot and pour in the remaining 4 cups of chicken broth. Stir to combine and pour in uncooked rice. Put the lid back on the Instant Pot and set the valve to Sealed.

Set the Instant Pot to manual for 12 minutes. Once again, the pot will come to pressure and then timer on the pot will begin counting down. Once it is complete, the Instant Pot will beep, letting you know it is finished.

At this point, you can either do a Natural Release (let the pressure in the pot slowly release on its own), or you can do a Quick Release if you are ready to eat.

Stir the chicken bog to remove the bay leaves and serve. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sounds yummy!
Thanks for sharing:frow
You are welcome! I like it. I will usually add more salt and pepper at the end, tasting as I go, until I get the flavor just right. This recipe screams for some vegetables though to make it a truly one dish meal, even if it isn't traditional. I am considering adding some diced broccoli next time to make it a little healthier.

Back
Top Bottom