creating a chicken coop

kjanowsky

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014
I am new and I want to convert my two seater outhouse to a chicken coop. My plan is to start small - 3 chickens. I need suggestions for the coop design of my outhouse. where to put roost bar, nesting boxes, etc.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif

You might want to stop by our coops pages for some ideas from our members. Maybe you can get an idea on how to make your outhouse work...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Make sure to put in plenty of ventilation in the eaves or ceiling. 1 square foot per bird will keep them warm and dry during those humid and cold months.

Good luck with the build and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Definitely check out the link that TwoCrows left you. It has plenty of helpful information on Coops!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

There are many plans and methods to making coops. The link TwoCrows gave you has lots of great information. Good luck!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You can put nesting boxes either way, though ime if you have them vertical they tend to favor the top boxes (chickens tend to have favorite boxes anyhow no matter what you do)... unless you have breeds like silkies that have a hard time getting into higher boxes.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've never made a coop in an outhouse before, but TwoCrows has left you with a good link that should help you out with the detail. As are as ventilation goes, I would think that an outhouse would already be well ventilated (I'd sure hate to use one that wasn't). LOL! Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck converting your outhouse into a coop.

Back
Top Bottom