Creating a new breed

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Hi my chicken expert friends I am wanting to eventually create a new breed for my farm. Something with silkie, serama, maybe a little Ameraucana by breeding in a Easter egger. The characteristics would be somewhat like this.
Extra toe
Clean shanks
Brown eyes
Bantam
Walnut comb (I think that's the outcome)
Broody
Possible blue green eggs
Do you think this will work, I know it will take a couple generations to create this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am new to breeding.

Read. Read some more. Follow any threads on here about breeding and genetics. Learn all you can about genetics. Have a plan for your "unwanted" birds, because there will be a lot of them.

Good luck!
I am planning on selling the "unwanted" as I am planning on selling already and thanks for the advice 🙂

I would definitely have several coops and runs. Or a setup that allows partitioning. You will be selectively breeding and to get the desired traits, so you will need to breed, then breed the mixes, and possibly bring the original genes back into play. So you need lots of places to separate.

I would definitely have several coops and runs. Or a setup that allows partitioning. You will be selectively breeding and to get the desired traits, so you will need to breed, then breed the mixes, and possibly bring the original genes back into play. So you need lots of places to separate.
Yes I am planning on buying or building a new Small coop and my current coop has 2 places to partition off

Wonderful thread! I am on my 4th generation of a similar project.

I started with silkied serama and have been working on breeding for friendliness and small size while adding the blue egg gene and the muffs and beard are so cool looking in the silkied/ wooly feathering.

I have eggs in the brinseas almost non stop and several pens of little birds here and there. So far I have white and chocolate.

Hi my chicken expert friends I am wanting to eventually create a new breed for my farm. Something with silkie, serama, maybe a little Ameraucana by breeding in a Easter egger. The characteristics would be somewhat like this.
Extra toe
Clean shanks
Brown eyes
Bantam
Walnut comb (I think that's the outcome)
Broody
Possible blue green eggs
Do you think this will work, I know it will take a couple generations to create this. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am new to breeding.
The serama have the silkie feathering in their DNA as a recessive gene so it's easy to get silkie feathers without the blue skin, extra toe and never-ending scabby legs from the pop up feathered legs. Also, my experience has been silkie×EE/amer is all black and very wild!

Serama are very broody for me. Getting eggs out of them has been the challenge here. The diverse genetics in gen 2 and 3 helped the production numbers.

Back
Top Bottom