Creating a safe haven for my Birds

Biglurr54

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
So my chickens have been disappearing from the local fox. I havent got a shot at him yet. He will be dealt with when the opportunity arises. I am looking to build an extremely cheap run for them. I live a 32 acres and have woods, fields, ponds and streams. I want to have the birds able to have access to all these features. The ducks love the pond and the chickens like having fresh water available in the stream.

I have installed a 4 wire electric fence that includes all these features. I installed the wire on the outside of posts and trees. the first wire is 6 inch off the ground, second is at 12, third is at 24, and fourth is at 36 inches.

Next I plan to use cheap plastic deer fencing. I can get it for 25 bucks for 150 ft. Its black plastic and is 5 foot tall. I am going to use this fencing on the inside of the posts and just simply staple it in place.

Will this create a safe haven for the birds. They get locked up in a large predator proof coop every night so its just during the day that I am worried about.

We have foxes and bob cats that seem to be the biggest issue with my flock right now.

After losing two of my hens and a rooster to a clever fox I just went all out and covered the top of the run. After losing 3 in a couple weeks I have gone two months without a problem. I may try electric down the road when I expand the run.

People on the UK use electric all the time to protect the chickens from their foxes. They have a bigger fox issue then we do. I think when I find the pesky fox and eliminate him it will be quite here for a while. The birds have free ranged since Feb with out any issues or anyone home until July.

Back
Top Bottom