1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Creating a safe haven for my Birds

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Biglurr54, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Biglurr54

Biglurr54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    So my chickens have been disappearing from the local fox. I havent got a shot at him yet. He will be dealt with when the opportunity arises. I am looking to build an extremely cheap run for them. I live a 32 acres and have woods, fields, ponds and streams. I want to have the birds able to have access to all these features. The ducks love the pond and the chickens like having fresh water available in the stream.

I have installed a 4 wire electric fence that includes all these features. I installed the wire on the outside of posts and trees. the first wire is 6 inch off the ground, second is at 12, third is at 24, and fourth is at 36 inches.

Next I plan to use cheap plastic deer fencing. I can get it for 25 bucks for 150 ft. Its black plastic and is 5 foot tall. I am going to use this fencing on the inside of the posts and just simply staple it in place.

Will this create a safe haven for the birds. They get locked up in a large predator proof coop every night so its just during the day that I am worried about.

We have foxes and bob cats that seem to be the biggest issue with my flock right now.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Foxes are great jumpers and can probably clear 10 feet if they are so inclined.

3. ChickMagnet64

ChickMagnet64 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    New Milford, CT
    After losing two of my hens and a rooster to a clever fox I just went all out and covered the top of the run. After losing 3 in a couple weeks I have gone two months without a problem. I may try electric down the road when I expand the run.

4. Biglurr54

Biglurr54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    People on the UK use electric all the time to protect the chickens from their foxes. They have a bigger fox issue then we do. I think when I find the pesky fox and eliminate him it will be quite here for a while. The birds have free ranged since Feb with out any issues or anyone home until July.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by