Creating a Sex Link?

Pullet Press

Crowing
Aug 7, 2020
Texas
I've been reading up on Sex Link chickens. It sounds so convenient. You breed a certain red colored rooster to a certain white colored hen, and you can see what gender your chicks are at day 1. Except, my roosters and hens are the exact opposite. I have some white roosters and some RIR and Buff Orpington hens that I'll breed, so I was wondering: Can you create a sex link chick using a white rooster and a red hen? I'm no professional at chick sexing, but I want meat from the male chicks and eggs from the females, and I don't want to be wrong when I think that a rooster turns out to be a hen (and, more regularly, the other way around).

Okay. Man, now I kind of hope that one of my RIR pullets might be a cockerel. Ugh, then I'd have 3 roos crowing (I'm kind of in town, and even though I love roosters crowing, I don't want to have angry neighbors knocking on my door). Then again, if I have 3 roos, I'd have to get more pullets to ensure no overmating. :yesss: Hmmm... Finally! I can get some French Copper Marans and Belefelders!

Back
Top Bottom