Creating wheaten males from dark BBR American game family

Mossy Dell

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2015
Southwestern VA
Hello all,

I like the wheaten color pattern. The contrast between the light-colored females and the males is attractive. And I like the flashing gold tips in the wheaten-bred roosters' hackles.

An acquaintance breeds a family of standard American games in which the males are medium to dark red. Hens come both partridge and a light wheaten. (If I can figure out how to post photos, I will.) He seems to favor partridge hens but does breed from some wheaten too. I believe but am not sure that he hatches a percentage of wheaten females from partridge hens.

Question 1: Would it be possible by breeding only from wheaten hens to create a wheaten male? That is, to really lighten the hackles and get that flashing gold?

Question 2: Is wheaten dominant or recessive to standard, partridge-bred BB red? Based on his flock, I think partridge is dominant. Which would mean that breeding only wheaten means you'd end up with 100 percent wheaten.

Question 3: How does wheaten affect interbreeding with other duckwing colors, specifically silver duckwing? I actually LIKE classic gray partridge silver duckwing hens better than silver wheaten. Using a BB red wheaten strain and a SDW partridge strain it possible to introduce new blood to each from the hen side without losing the BBR wheaten females on the one hand or the SDW partridge gray females on the other?

I ask because I might also raise silver duckwings and would like to be able to interbreed to maintain vigor. It is my understanding that a hen does not pass her color to her pullets in the duckwing varieties. Which means a SDW male produces SDW females when bred to a BBR hen, and a BBR male bred to SDW hens produces BBR females. But does this apply only to partridge females? I read somewhere that SDW male x BBR wheaten female produces SDW wheaten females.

It would help if I liked wheaten females in both or partridge in both! But I like gray hens in SDW and wheaten in BBR.

Thanks in advance for any help! The photos below show a typical rooster for his strain and one of the wheaten hens.

Back
Top Bottom