Solved Crediting the Pictures on the Front Page

I don’t think most people even know that BYC uses the pictures from the community, so they might not know to do it. BYC wouldn’t have to tell people necessarily, just like the community can remind people every so often.
I guess I'm weird, I read the rules and understood that they could use any pictures I uploaded. Even though I wasn't planning on uploading any (other than my profile pic and it's a free use stock photo from someone else). I would make double sure if I was uploading anything as to what permissions I am giving. But then again I'm weird.

I guess I'm weird, I read the rules and understood that they could use any pictures I uploaded. Even though I wasn't planning on uploading any (other than my profile pic and it's a free use stock photo from someone else). I would make double sure if I was uploading anything as to what permissions I am giving. But then again I'm weird.
Your not weird, I read the rules too. I personally don’t care too much, but I know some people can get really upset if they don’t read the rules and suddenly they end up in a bad situation.

The roleplay community on here has had some run ins with copyright issues in the past, so I am also extremely careful in what pictures I post after seeing that mess.

See, that's what I call a learning experience. You don't read the rules, you reap the consequences.
And the rules aren’t, or at least the last time I checked, very clear on what the images are used for. You could think it would only be used to educate, while it was being used for other things like on the homepage. It also doesn’t say that you don’t get credit for the picture if they use it, so you could be under the belief you would be given attribution for the image.

And the rules aren’t, or at least the last time I checked, very clear on what the images are used for. You could think it would only be used to educate, while it was being used for other things like on the homepage. It also doesn’t say that you don’t get credit for the picture if they use it, so you could be under the belief you would be given attribution for the image.
When the rules don't say what they will be used for, always assume they will be used for anything and everything.

Here's my two cents:
I think that because BYC has such strict rules regarding it's users using content from others without crediting it, it would be, in my opinion, the right thing to do when crediting media it uses. I'm not trying to undermine the rules, it just seems more fair that way. It's up to BYC to decide whether they want to be nice about that, as it is in the rules that they technically have the privilege. Personally, I don't think that it would take too much effort to credit the creator with something like '(Image credit: User_xyz)' but that is still my opinion. I understand that BYC technically has access, but I think that it would be the fair thing to do. I understand that my opinion of 'fair' ultimately doesn't matter, and it is up to BYC. I understand that it is, as of the current setup, technically the person's fault if they don't watermark their image. I understand that life isn't always fair. I was just thinking that in such a kind community, people would want that courtesy reflected back at them. This is only my opinion, and I respect if you disagree with that.

Here's my two cents:
I think that because BYC has such strict rules regarding it's users using content from others without crediting it, it would be, in my opinion, the right thing to do when crediting media it uses. I'm not trying to undermine the rules, it just seems more fair that way. It's up to BYC to decide whether they want to be nice about that, as it is in the rules that they technically have the privilege. Personally, I don't think that it would take too much effort to credit the creator with something like '(Image credit: User_xyz)' but that is still my opinion. I understand that BYC technically has access, but I think that it would be the fair thing to do. I understand that my opinion of 'fair' ultimately doesn't matter, and it is up to BYC. I understand that it is, as of the current setup, technically the person's fault if they don't watermark their image. I understand that life isn't always fair. I was just thinking that in such a kind community, people would want that courtesy reflected back at them. This is only my opinion, and I respect if you disagree with that.
That is one of the main reasons why i brought up the issue(?). It seems a bit wrong for the community to be held under these rules about crediting but the website in a whole doesn’t.

But again, rules are rules and if our definition of ‘fair’ doesn’t match up with the website’s, that just stinks.

That is one of the main reasons why i brought up the issue(?). It seems a bit wrong for the community to be held under these rules about crediting but the website in a whole doesn’t.

But again, rules are rules and if our definition of ‘fair’ doesn’t match up with the website’s, that just stinks.
I am inclined to agree with you, but it seems like others don't, so I wanted to be respectful with my wording. I think that it is a fair request, but again, others might not, and it is technically in the rules.

I am inclined to agree with you, but it seems like others don't, so I wanted to be respectful with my wording. I think that it is a fair request, but again, others might not, and it is technically in the rules.
Yeah, rules are rules after all and we can’t do much besides bringing up a possible issue and hoping the website worker people see the possible issue. Fair isn’t a real determination of worth, as everyone has different opinions on things. I was a bit worried about starting this thread, as I know it could become very heated very quickly, and I still am but now I can’t do much since I started the thread and it would technically be my fault.

Back
Top Bottom