Creeping Reduction in Feed Options

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
In the nearly 15 years living in central Missouri I have noticed a lot of change in feed availability. While in southern Indiana, a location much more rural, we had feed mills that could make a broad range of custom mixes using intact grains. The mills there at the time had a much broader range of feedstuffs in their bins. Here I realized an abrubt reduction in the variety of feed stuffs so had to become more reliant upon complete feeds formulated for commercial production flocks. My birds are not commercial production and they spend a significant portion of their lives free-range. The feeds available through the local mill are too hot, loaded with fines, and often medicated when medication is not desired. My standard approach was to "cut" an overly hot grower with whole grains I could get to bring nutrient density down into range that is more optimal. That ability is particularly important as weather cools and energy requirements go up, but protein and vitamin requirements remain essentially the same. Milo or millet used to be a very important part of the cutting mixture as was popcorn and wheat. I still have options of oats and black oil sunflower seed but the corn is exclusively dent with much higher levels of starch and wheat is only seasonally available and often very dusty even then.

A recent flood forced me to patronage places like TSC and Orschelns for the better part of 2 months. The only grain options then become much more expensive shelled dent corn and oats (that were cleaner). Thus I began mixing multiple complete feeds to get nutrient levels in desired range with a coarser particle size. The feeds used where more palatable with a lot less fines than obtained from feed mill locally before flood. The feed is also about 1/3 more expensive at the chain stores.

Now my local feed mill (MFA) appears to be in trouble, to the degree I got snapped at by a guy that was literally shaking with anger when he saw I purchased feed from a chain store. The local mill is offering even fewer options than in the beginning when I started dealing with them. People like me do not represent a market worth catering to anymore. The market has shifted almost entirely to those solely reliant upon complete feeds where packaging is becoming as important as feed quality. If the local feed mill drops out, then the chain stores will be free to jack up prices further.

Now I must expand search to find feed stuffs so I can mix feeds in their entirety, or nearly so, on farm. That means a lot of work. A major problem is that many grains I need are no longer produced anywhere near close by and must be purchased in volumes I am not equipped to store.

All so true!
The local mills are fewer, and here at least only produced mash, because of the cost of pelleting machinery. I wasn't happy with their feed anyway, and they are now closed.
Big stores often win, because of the scale of things and their cost.
Our other local feed store tends to have feeds with old mill dates, also not so good.
Farms have experienced drought, flooding, extreme weather, and marketing issues generally, especially this last year. This doesn't help!
My smaller flock of mixed dual purpose and bantam chickens, time and space available for storing grains, and motivation, has me buying bagged feeds rather than doing anything like you have done.
Will it still pay off for you to do these home mixes? At least this year?
Mary

In the nearly 15 years living in central Missouri I have noticed a lot of change in feed availability. While in southern Indiana, a location much more rural, we had feed mills that could make a broad range of custom mixes using intact grains. The mills there at the time had a much broader range of feedstuffs in their bins. Here I realized an abrubt reduction in the variety of feed stuffs so had to become more reliant upon complete feeds formulated for commercial production flocks. My birds are not commercial production and they spend a significant portion of their lives free-range. The feeds available through the local mill are too hot, loaded with fines, and often medicated when medication is not desired. My standard approach was to "cut" an overly hot grower with whole grains I could get to bring nutrient density down into range that is more optimal. That ability is particularly important as weather cools and energy requirements go up, but protein and vitamin requirements remain essentially the same. Milo or millet used to be a very important part of the cutting mixture as was popcorn and wheat. I still have options of oats and black oil sunflower seed but the corn is exclusively dent with much higher levels of starch and wheat is only seasonally available and often very dusty even then.

A recent flood forced me to patronage places like TSC and Orschelns for the better part of 2 months. The only grain options then become much more expensive shelled dent corn and oats (that were cleaner). Thus I began mixing multiple complete feeds to get nutrient levels in desired range with a coarser particle size. The feeds used where more palatable with a lot less fines than obtained from feed mill locally before flood. The feed is also about 1/3 more expensive at the chain stores.

Now my local feed mill (MFA) appears to be in trouble, to the degree I got snapped at by a guy that was literally shaking with anger when he saw I purchased feed from a chain store. The local mill is offering even fewer options than in the beginning when I started dealing with them. People like me do not represent a market worth catering to anymore. The market has shifted almost entirely to those solely reliant upon complete feeds where packaging is becoming as important as feed quality. If the local feed mill drops out, then the chain stores will be free to jack up prices further.

Now I must expand search to find feed stuffs so I can mix feeds in their entirety, or nearly so, on farm. That means a lot of work. A major problem is that many grains I need are no longer produced anywhere near close by and must be purchased in volumes I am not equipped to store.
Something similar is slowly happening here. Fish based products in particular are getting harder t source. While I accept that the majority of commercial feeds have the essential amino acids necessary for survival they don't provide a sufficient range of alternative amino acid combinations to ensure they replace anything like the range the chickens can forage.

Same issue here in SW VA. To more or less solve it, along with mail ordering I can drive to three feed stores, one a good 30 mins away, and meet a New Country Organics truck in a parking lot.

I go back and forth between deciding to bite the bullet and run all over the place for my optimum mix or, instead, just do a good enough mix using only Tractor Supply. Overall, TSC is easiest to use. But I can't get wheat there except in scratch mixes.

Right now, I have tentatively decided to go for my optimum mix the next time I mix, which is soon. Here is my current optimum maintenance/free range grower mix and my TSC version.

Optimum Mix
4 parts fermented oats, 44
2 parts whole corn, 15
1.5 part wheat & millet 50:50 mix, 17
1 part barley, 11.5
.5 sunflower, 8.5
1 New Country Organic grower pellet, 23
11.9% [w .5 Diamond pup, 16, mix = 12.8%.]

TSC Maintenance Mix
4 parts fermented oats, 44
1.5 parts Dumor 5 Grain Blend 9.5%, 14.25
1 part whole corn, 7.5
1 part Royal Wing Backyard Deluxe, 12%
1 part dry whole oats, 11
1 part Nutrena all-flock pellet, 20
.5 part Diamond dog, 16 [non-TSC, mail ordered]
12.4%

The NCO pellet is great, with fish meal, and really fresh off the truck. Not sure if that drop route is going to persist and don't know what the virus has done to it. Anyway, the Nutrena has to be ordered too to get it from my TSC and is vegetarian, hence the 5% dogfood in the TSC mix. Probably not necessary until breeding, as my young fowl range and my penned fowl get a bit of egg or meat daily.

Back
Top Bottom