Creepy crawlies

Familyfarm898

Chirping
Jun 15, 2019
Unfortunately we lost a chIcken yesterday. She wasn’t looking well so I pulled her out, laid her on the snow to examine her and discovered that she was just covered with what I think were lice (A TON of teeny tiny, sand colored little bugs). She passed within 30 minutes after I found her.
So, I’m trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my flock. I think the problem originated from the wild birds that are constantly all over the chicken’s run, scratch grains and feeders. I’ve ordered 1 inch avian netting to completely cover the area. My husband just cleaned the coop last weekend but since he’s taken over coop clean outs, he hasn’t used DE every time like I do. So, after I found her I puffed DE throughout the coop. I can’t really power wash the coop since it’s below freezing here and will be fir a while. But, as soon as I can, I’m going to pull everything out, spray with poultry protector, dust heavily with DE and then put new chips in. I’m creating 2 dust bath bins to go under the (mobile) coop with sand, DE and wood ash, if I can find some. Should I also treat my other birds with permethrin dust or an ivermectin pour on? I don’t like using chemicals but what I saw on my pour hen was atrocious.
Thanks!

Some birds are more susceptible to bugs too, even within breeds. I had one named neck that always had them, one Phoenix that always had them, and a poor Cochin that is jist too fluffy for the own good. Everyone else seems to get them occasionally but never infestations.

In the summer, baths can help too, plus they cool the birds off as well when it's really hot

How did you make out with the permethrin. It is my go to treatment. Many people make the mistake of mixing it to weak especially with a heavy infestation. There is no egg withdrawal period. Premixed permethrin sprays work good. I personally use the concentrate but I have a lot of coops. I also use a sprayer with a wand so I can reach into the hard to reach areas. I hope you were successful. Good luck...

Attachments

• Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
  • GordonsHorse& StableSpray.jpeg
    GordonsHorse& StableSpray.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg