Creepy...crawly...grain mite question!

There a chick...

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
West Michigan
Hi all!

I typically buy Purina feed for my chickens and when I went to buy food this week I went to 3 different TSCs, 2 Family Farm & Homes, and a local feed mill. I drove all over 3 counties to go to these stores and every single store had grain mites all over the Purina feed bags. I was disgusted, my DH said I was crazy, and my family thinks that I am crazy and there is no such thing as grain mites! So...are these bugs anything to worry about? Or do I just get over creepy crawly OCD and buy the food?

Thanks!

I wouldn't buy food with bugs in it. They eat the food and you're buying the poop. Also, they'll infest other grains when you bring it home. It's more than likely due to improper storage at the store. You're right to be concerned.

There are a lot of different types of mites, that eat different types of foods. There are a couple that are parasites on chickens and other birds. Some prefer other species as a host. There are also types that eat decaying plant matter or grain. You weren't imagining it! That must have been really frustrated talking to your family.

I wouldn't want to bring home mites if I didn't have to. It sounds like you've gone to most of the places around you, looking for feed. That's a tough situation to be in. I don't know what to tell you.

Back
Top Bottom