crele leghorns

What do you think of the personalities on the other colors, as opposed to what everyone says about the whites?

I've gotta say that so far my new bantams don't seem at all flighty. But they were show bred, and may have been handled a lot. I do think some of the leghorn colors are very attractive, and if some are calmer than others I might have to think about em!

The Show varieties seem calmer for the most part, since besides looking the part they have to be calm and easy to handle. Can't really judge a bird that is having a heart attack in the show cage and broke all its feather freaking out. So they are sort of bred for it.

There is a huge character difference between my imported Show bloodline browns and the rosecomb browns, the imports I got as 3 month olds, free ranged all their life and not handled. They come up to me, I can pick them up without much fuss and when I put them in a cage they just sit there given me the "so, what now?" kinda face.

The rosecombed I have gotten as day-olds, handled daily etc. Yes, one hen loves to come up for attention but I better not dare try and touch her, she freaks, the roo and 4 other hens are all frantic birds.
Typical hatchery birds, selected for productivity, not showmanship.

The Reds are calm until you pick one up(they don't mind eating your shoe laces, just no-touchy!!).

With the Excheqs most are very calm, I have one pair that without much handling is very tame and doesn't mind cuddling, the rest kinda tolerate any sort of handling(with that "ugh, she is touching me again" face).

Where you get them plays a big part too, private breeders that have worked with a line for a while tend to have calmer birds(since they do watch character). Hatcheries you most likely get more skittish birds, but that varies too.
For example I have Excheqs from both Sandhill and Ideal, raised the same way, handled the same way, the Ideal ones are nice calm and tame the Sandhill ones are just plain freaky....... been told by a couple people that the sandhill excheq are quite spooky, dunno why but they are.

Back
Top Bottom