Creme my Silver Laced Wyandotte - still not laying

6 month old Wyandotte still not laying.. Normal or Not Normal?

• Normal

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Abnormal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chix4thechikens

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2017
Breeding, KY
I have a 6 month old Wyandotte and she still is not laying. We have waited and waited and waited. There seems to be nothing wrong with her, but I don't think it's normal. Like I said yesterday in my intro, I am new to chickens and I think it may not be normal, but you guys have probably been raising chickens a lot longer than I have. Is it normal, not normal? Reply and cast a vote please.

I had 5 Blue Wyandottes who didn't lay until they were 8 - 9 months. Yours looks like it's getting ready, red comb/wattles. When she starts squatting when you approach or try to pick her up, she'll be really close to laying. Don't know your location but with days getting shorter & cooler, that will affect laying too. Yup, it's a waiting game but once she starts, it'll be Easter everyday :)

You just got these birds a month ago?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hey-everyone-new-member-here.1207405/
The stress from moving could still be in effect.
Are the other birds you got laying?
She looks 'red' (comb and wattles) enough to be laying.
Are you sure she's not laying?
There's always the 'butt check':
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Yes and all the others are starting to lay but Creme isn't thats what is worrying me.

My Wyandotte didn't start laying until she was 8 months old, so I think it's normal! She started squatting for me at about exactly 8 months and then was laying within the next few days. I don't think it's anything to worry about :)

Three of my four SLW aren't laying and they've been red for awhile. They are about 26 weeks and my one laying hen started about a month ago. The others all squat and have been inspecting the egg box.

Like everyone else has said, with winter coming in the Northern hemisphere they might not lay till Spring, and SLW are notorious for being late layers anyways.

Back
Top Bottom