Crested Duck has a Crooked Neck and is Unbalanced

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i bought some ducklings September 14th from Metzer, to keep my one Cayuga duck company. Didn't know about the issues with crested ducks, so ordered four, along with some others. One of the White Crested was smaller than the others and a little shaky upon arrival. But she ate and drank and the shakiness stopped. But as they got older, she was still significantly smaller than the rest. Then a week or two ago, i noticed her crest was kind of off to the side. Now at six weeks, her neck is crooked and her whole head is off to the side. She doesn't have good balance. i've found her on occasion struggling on her back trying to get up. And the past few days i notice she doesn't get in the kiddie pool. Not sure if she can't figure out how to get in. i'm sure i've seen her in there in the past. But this crooked neck thing is new and might be making her balance off more than usual.

i feed them Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance, supplemented with pea, romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs and occasional corn. i've read about them possibly needing added niacin and wondering if i need to add this to everyone's diet or just the little crooked neck one. i'm worried that she isn't getting in the pond, as she looks a bit dirty tonight. Perghaps i need to bring her inside tomorrow and wash her off in the sink.

Any advice from the veteran duck folk on this board would be greatly appreciated.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Niacin helps to make neurological connections, which also means control muscle movement. Most of the time it works when you add it to the diet, but it is not the all cure for everything. There could be more wrong with your duck. Never the less, niacin is cheap, and doesn't hurt to try. It is a water soluble vitamin, which means you have to give massive amount to even try to overdose a duck. You need the basic niacin you can find at Walmart or other store. Read the label because there some fancy version out there that have been modified to reduce cholesterol and don't work for ducks. You are looking for the basic niacin (vitamin b3) in tablet or capsule form. You mix 100mg per one gallon of water. It's ok to give it to all of your ducks and even other poultry.

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
  4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Katharina - Thank you for your input. i will pick up some niacin tomorrow. i realize it may not cure her, but if it helps, that would be great.

Fattie - i'm so sorry to read you lost your little one. [​IMG] No, actually, my girl isn't that bad. i'll take a picture tomorrow. But, this is a newer development and i'm wondering if the neck crook will continue to get worse. i was glad to read the treatment suggested by "country" on your thread and may give that a try. Or i may take her into my vet. She is really good with chickens and waterfowl and may have other suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by