Crested duck with lump on her cheek

post 4 I gave you a link on what to do. I don't know how you can tell if this is an abscess. Does this lump have any soft areas or is it completely hard? What we need is someone who had delt with an abscess before. @casportpony and has some experience. I have worked on bumbles before but not an abscess.

I think an abscess would be tender and hot.
I don't think this is cystic -- it would be tense and firm
I wouldn't stick a needle in it looking for infection/pus and certainly wouldn't stick a knife in it, if the duck is well and eating normally.

I think it is best just to wait and watch

post 4 I gave you a link on what to do. I don't know how you can tell if this is an abscess. Does this lump have any soft areas or is it completely hard? What we need is someone who had delt with an abscess before. @casportpony and has some experience. I have worked on bumbles before but not an abscess.
It is not too hard or too soft. It is exactly like her cheek on the other side. It is just a chubby cheek. It feels exactly like the other side of her face, but it is just bigger .

I think an abscess would be tender and hot.
I don't think this is cystic -- it would be tense and firm
I wouldn't stick a needle in it looking for infection/pus and certainly wouldn't stick a knife in it, if the duck is well and eating normally.

I think it is best just to wait and watch
It is not any warmer than the other side of her cheek and is not tender.
It feels like the same tissue as the other side of her face.
That's exactly why I am hesitant to take her to a canine or feline vet. If the vet wants to drain it or cut it open and if it is not really an abscess or infection, then it just causes more problem for the poor animal. I want to be well educated before I take her to vet, so I know exactly what I am dealing with.

You may just have to take her in let a vet look at it. They will know if an abscess since this is something they probably deal with routinely. Hopefully, they wouldn't want to do anything that would hurt your duck. At least then you'd know what your dealing with. What options are to help her.

Back
Top Bottom