Crested Duckling Tilting Her Head

Finny

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
My crested mallard duckling is tilting her head to the side, only stopping this to eat and drink and clean herself. I have heard crested ducklings can have neurological problems and i have started adding that vitamin and electrolyte supplement today. I will see if this helps but has anyone had this problem? If so, what happened? Was it fatal or did the duckling out grow it?

My crested mallard duckling is tilting her head to the side, only stopping this to eat and drink and clean herself. I have heard crested ducklings can have neurological problems and i have started adding that vitamin and electrolyte supplement today. I will see if this helps but has anyone had this problem? If so, what happened? Was it fatal or did the duckling out grow it?
you might want to follow this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/851825/ducklings-curling-necks-under-them-into-a-circle

I read the thread but that seems different. My mallard's condition is not as extreme as those poor ducklings.

She is still tilting her head and it has gotten to the point where she will fall over when she tips her head back to drink. She is also two times smaller than my other mallard who is the same age. Although she is still active and bright-eyed I am very worrried about her. I starting putting her on vitamin and electrolyte supplements as well as my other ducklings but i has not been making much of a difference.

She is still tilting her head and it has gotten to the point where she will fall over when she tips her head back to drink. She is also two times smaller than my other mallard who is the same age. Although she is still active and bright-eyed I am very worrried about her. I starting putting her on vitamin and electrolyte supplements as well as my other ducklings but i has not been making much of a difference.
Did you say you were giving her Nutri Drench? you know you can give that to her straight also? wrap her in a towel lightly and drip some along her bill or just inside her bill at the front not towards back of her mouth. She may need more than what she is getting in her water. do a little at a time. directions are on the bottle.

There is a possibility she has an infection and might need antibiotics. She may also have some internal problems. A vet can - if they are either just really good with animals in general, or trained to help ducks - help figure out the cause of the problem.

Did you say you were giving her Nutri Drench? you know you can give that to her straight also? wrap her in a towel lightly and drip some along her bill or just inside her bill at the front not towards back of her mouth. She may need more than what she is getting in her water. do a little at a time. directions are on the bottle. 

No i am giving her this not Nutri Drench. Should i get Nutri Drench instead?

No i am giving her this not Nutri Drench. Should i get Nutri Drench instead?
Does yours have D3 in it[Niacin]? Nutri Drench does have D3 in it. She is eating and drinking good? I'm going to go see what is the best for her and other than the head tilt no other symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom