Crested Welbar ?

Hi all. I'm not familiar with the Welbar breed other than research I've done online after picking up 4 babies in early May from my local Tractor Supply. I asked the store what hatchery they used and could not get an answer, and have searched all the hatcheries that actively are advertising Welbars but couldn't find one that would supply to my area (Chattanooga, TN.) My 4 babies are about 2 months old now, and one of them has a definite crest. Of the 4 one has a darker head, two are redheads, and the crested one has a lighter blonde head, but all 4 have the same body color. Is there such a thing as a crested welbar? I've found info on the crested cream Legbar, but the crest was a product of adding in the blue egg genes, and a Welbar should have Welsummer and Barred Rock ancestory with no blue genes to cause a crest.

I'm not concerned about what she looks like or what color egg she lays, as I already have another older mixed flock of Easter Eggers, OEGB, bantam Polish, and Silkie mixes who lay a rainbow. I mostly wanted to make sure the chicks I took home were in fact girls and the autosexing on the Welbars was why I got them. So as long as they're all girls, we're all good. I was just curious if anyone else had a crest on a bird that's supposed to lay brown and possibly dark brown eggs or if maybe she's something else I'm not familiar with.
I think I can clear this up, sorry I didn't see and reply sooner. The chicks you got from TSC almost certainly came from Privett Hatchery in NM. They are a major supplier of TSC and the only hatchery I know of that list Welbars for sale, though I have my doubts that they are pure Welbars.
Hatcheries often cut corners with the genetics to make money. It is necessary in an industry where low prices are the major feature that customers select on. I'm not faulting them for making money, but I think they should make up their own name rather than co-opt an existing name if their birds are not true to those genetics.

That said, if you want "real" Welbars, check out my webpage and contact me when it gets a bit warmer. http://welbars.com/doku.php?id=welbars:start

I think I can clear this up, sorry I didn't see and reply sooner. The chicks you got from TSC almost certainly came from Privett Hatchery in NM. They are a major supplier of TSC and the only hatchery I know of that list Welbars for sale, though I have my doubts that they are pure Welbars.
Hatcheries often cut corners with the genetics to make money. It is necessary in an industry where low prices are the major feature that customers select on. I'm not faulting them for making money, but I think they should make up their own name rather than co-opt an existing name if their birds are not true to those genetics.

That said, if you want "real" Welbars, check out my webpage and contact me when it gets a bit warmer. http://welbars.com/doku.php?id=welbars:start
Sounds like the hatchery " borrowed" the barred gene from a legbar easter egger cross.

Privett's Welbars are indeed true Welbars and have all the correct genes to breed true.

Hi all. I'm not familiar with the Welbar breed other than research I've done online after picking up 4 babies in early May from my local Tractor Supply. I asked the store what hatchery they used and could not get an answer, and have searched all the hatcheries that actively are advertising Welbars but couldn't find one that would supply to my area (Chattanooga, TN.) My 4 babies are about 2 months old now, and one of them has a definite crest. Of the 4 one has a darker head, two are redheads, and the crested one has a lighter blonde head, but all 4 have the same body color. Is there such a thing as a crested welbar? I've found info on the crested cream Legbar, but the crest was a product of adding in the blue egg genes, and a Welbar should have Welsummer and Barred Rock ancestory with no blue genes to cause a crest.

I'm not concerned about what she looks like or what color egg she lays, as I already have another older mixed flock of Easter Eggers, OEGB, bantam Polish, and Silkie mixes who lay a rainbow. I mostly wanted to make sure the chicks I took home were in fact girls and the autosexing on the Welbars was why I got them. So as long as they're all girls, we're all good. I was just curious if anyone else had a crest on a bird that's supposed to lay brown and possibly dark brown eggs or if maybe she's something else I'm not familiar with.
Some breeders of rare Welbars will cross them with Legbars to get an autosexing olive egger that sells good.Its a win win to cross them.

Back
Top Bottom