"Crevecoeur" Remorse

I think you're right. I'm feeling guilty and vane admitting that they just don't bring me joy anymore because they aren't very cute or friendly. I have 3 adorable Polish and 3 Blue Silkie pullets that love to be handled and are a joy to care for because they are so cute and friendly. I also have a stunning Lavender Isabelle Laced English Orpington that is a beauty queen and although she doesn't like to be held, she will often lay at my feet to be pet. Now that I have experienced more friendly breeds, I know what I want in my flock and I'm ready to purge my 1st batch of behavior problems and add more ornamental, family friendly breeds.
I hope you find a solution that works for you and your flock. I can understand the desire to have friendly breeds. I wish I could tell you my secret, but I don’t know the secret. I have 25 birds, a mix of very friendly and very aloof birds. I love each for all of their quirks and personality types. I get enough satisfaction from my handful of sweet friendly girls to make up for the flightier ones. And I had a few with missing feathers from overmating. One has a lopsided wing and body from surviving a heat attack. She is slower than the rest so was targeted more for mating. A saddle wouldn’t stay in place because of her crookedness. She used to be friendly but is skittish after the attack, but these things just made me love her more.

I recently acquired guineas though and have had less positive feelings about them, so I can still relate to how you feel about your chickens.

Perhaps you could rehome them? Being that they are laying adults, I am sure you could get a little money for your efforts.

Are all these in the same flock, or separate? Just wondering...
All in together, just different ages & stages. My first batch is one year old from Murray. I got the Polish this April from Meyer and hatched the Orpington from shipped eggs when my Crev 1st went broody (Polish & Orp are just 3 days apart and were raised together). The Silkies are my newest addition from MPC and are in a grow out pen below the coop until they get big enough to fully integrate.

Just because a bird is broody in a nonbroody breed doesn't mean they're not that breed.
I know, but I feel like none of mine have the personality characteristics of a true Crevecoeur, they each have a few white toe nails, and one has white leakage on her wing and crest. This made me do more research on whether Murray has the real deal and I now doubt that they do. I think there is Polish lineage in there for sure. Given that Crevecoeurs are on the critically endangered list with only 500 breeding pairs, make one wonder how do the big hatcheries continually churn them them out so easily? I think the hatchery stock of Crevs is like the EE "Ameraucana". Just my suspicion, though, I could be wrong.

I agree with @Mrs. K , if they aren't working out in your flock, move them on elswhere.
We have tried out birds of many breeds over the years, and have learned that some that looked great 'on paper' just weren't the thing here. And others who didn't look interesting at all, were keepers. It's fine, just move them on, and write them off your list.
Mary

All in together, just different ages & stages. My first batch is one year old from Murray. I got the Polish this April from Meyer and hatched the Orpington from shipped eggs when my Crev 1st went broody (Polish & Orp are just 3 days apart and were raised together). The Silkies are my newest addition from MPC and are in a grow out pen below the coop until they get big enough to fully integrate.
Hm. And the other chickens aren't showing any signs that they're getting plucked? If a chicken is plucking one chicken, they'll pluck any and all. Especially those that are lower in the pecking order. Maybe there's something more to this....

Hm. And the other chickens aren't showing any signs that they're getting plucked? If a chicken is plucking one chicken, they'll pluck any and all. Especially those that are lower in the pecking order. Maybe there's something more to this....
I was beginning to think they were doing it to themselves, but I watched my SLW corner one yesterday and the crev bowed before her and presented her head for plucking! Just the weirdest birds ever. My Polish have full fluffy crests without issue.

I was beginning to think they were doing it to themselves, but I watched my SLW corner one yesterday and the crev bowed before her and presented her head for plucking! Just the weirdest birds ever. My Polish have full fluffy crests without issue.
My SLW was the big problem at first, so she's the one who was sent to jail. She seems to be doing better, though she was the only one. Some of mine do what I call "feather shopping." That's where one will sort through another chicken's feathers until she finds the perfect on to pluck. Maybe, try separating the Crevecoeurs for a time and see if they'll grow their feathers back.

Oftentimes, the feather plucker is the only one with feathers. ;)

Back
Top Bottom