***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
Thank you. I doubt that’s what the hatchery was trying for but what else could I call him? There is so little information about the breed in the US.
At one time I believe Greenfire farms brought some Merlerault to the USA -- but if rare breeds don't capture breeder interest the breeds don't continue in the USA. Such a shame too after all the permits & import costs & overseas trips that Greenfire goes thru to bring rare breeds to this country!

At one time I believe Greenfire farms brought some Merlerault to the USA -- but if rare breeds don't capture breeder interest the breeds don't continue in the USA. Such a shame too after all the permits & import costs & overseas trips that Greenfire goes thru to bring rare breeds to this country!
My Crèvecœur flock, including one Blue, have sparked my interest in breeding and raising pullets and cockerels to encourage the breed in my area, where we have several Silkie breeders. Everyone who comes to our little farm wants this breed, so I am hopeful the grassroots effort will keep it going. I'm slowly building a breeding program and plan to show. I know a breeder in Colorado who is providing pullets locally. Also the Livestock Conservancy's Jeanette Beranger (who I hope to learn from) is championing this breed.

@CreveChris SUPER! Compared to straight or rose-combed birds all crested and//or bearded birds seem less aggressive which is why I like my Silkies & Breda. I would love to have Polish too but not zoned for a lot of birds!

My Crèvecœur flock, including one Blue, have sparked my interest in breeding and raising pullets and cockerels to encourage the breed in my area, where we have several Silkie breeders. Everyone who comes to our little farm wants this breed, so I am hopeful the grassroots effort will keep it going. I'm slowly building a breeding program and plan to show. I know a breeder in Colorado who is providing pullets locally. Also the Livestock Conservancy's Jeanette Beranger (who I hope to learn from) is championing this breed.
My heart hurts how much I want this breed. I'm in Canada and have access, but want to diversify. Greenfire was my go to but they don't ship to me.
I will continue to research French farms, from France.

@CreveChris SUPER! Compared to straight or rose-combed birds all crested and//or bearded birds seem less aggressive which is why I like my Silkies & Breda. I would love to have Polish too but not zoned for a lot of birds!

Yes, gentle birds, and very bonded, in my experience. Love mine! They enjoy lots of attention and like to be carried and held, too. It's surprising they don't startle when they can't see what's happening most of the time.

My heart hurts how much I want this breed. I'm in Canada and have access, but want to diversify. Greenfire was my go to but they don't ship to me.
I will continue to research French farms, from France.
I can imagine importing livestock is a bit difficult. I wonder what the process is. A couple of Crèvecœur people provide pullets and cockerels a generation out from Greenfire for hobbyists like ourselves. The problem with sexing chicks seems ridiculous when you consider this is a breed we are striving to save. TSC has plenty of sexed chicks for suburban chicken enthusiasts. My day-old chicks from Greenfire are gorgeous snd worth every penny. Plus they are quality breeding stock. I respect their efforts.

I have two Crevecoeur pullets who, at almost 7 months, are not laying. I was starting to worry and thinking about posting my concern when, lo and behold, I log on and here‘s the link to the breed thread started by Sumi ♥ years ago. Following links to several article mentioned here and there, I see that there‘s no need to worry about their delayed POL.

It’s a pleasure to read other people’s take on this breed. Our two are the most unique birds in the flock. There’s something about them that almost suggests another species.
B3CF2790-334A-413E-9BA6-AE6CC6F080F0.jpeg
20A02D7C-0FCD-4286-82F6-3DAEB65E8B20.jpeg
F72F85FB-1FAB-4A3D-8BA6-199679849A96.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom