Crib to Brooder and Testing the Mommas Heating Pad

Captain13

Songster
Sep 6, 2022
Kathleen, Ga
Today I repurposed a $20 baby crib to a brooder in preparation for the arrival of my new chicks. I will probably take out the chicken wire the]at I installed just because it’s too difficult to get into place, especially in the corners. I will replace it with hardware cloth. The crib really gives me a lot more room than my current little brooder. I wanted a bigger one because this winter has been brutal. Today it was 80 degrees and Saturday it will be 30 degrees. That trend will go on until Easter.

Second, a big thanks to Blooie for the inspiration to try out the Mommas Heating Pad Brooder. I received my Sunbeam heating pad today and while working on the brooder, tested the heating pad brooder. With a four inch height for my pad frame, I was getting 110 degrees on the surface of the pad. Don’t panic yet. I then wrapped a towel around the pad and the temp went down to 102 on the wrapped surface. On the floor, it was 92 degrees. Then I experimented with adding another layer under the pad and the wrapped surface was at 98 degrees And the floor was at 88 degrees. So what does this all mean? I have a small K&H brooder plate and the surface temp on the plate is 102 degrees. So I can easily match the K&H as well as adjust the temperature by increasing a layer on the heating pad surface. I can’t adjust the K&H. Also, the K&H has no radiant heat capability while the heating pad does. In other words, the temperature away from the plate was the same as the room temperature. The chicks would have to pretty much be against the plate to be warmed. With the heating pad configuration, the can be against the blanket for max heat or move away some to still get heat but not the max available. All measurements were made with a calibrated digital thermometer.

So, my plan is to put both the Mommas and the K&H in the brooder and see which one the babies like best.

Attachments

• 83608208-A410-4974-807E-C9989EAB9A0E.jpeg
    83608208-A410-4974-807E-C9989EAB9A0E.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 65
Hey there. Wondering how the plate vs. MHP experiment went with your chicks? The crib is really adorable, I may have to do that. You use it for outdoor brooding correct? I have enough room for one in my brooder room if I remove a shelf. Hope you're having Spring chick fun!

Hey there. Wondering how the plate vs. MHP experiment went with your chicks? The crib is really adorable, I may have to do that. You use it for outdoor brooding correct? I have enough room for one in my brooder room if I remove a shelf. Hope you're having Spring chick fun!
It has worked great. The brooder was in an unheated garage and we had nights in the 30’s. The chicks kinda went back and for between the Mama’s heater and the K&H, gravitating to the Mama’s they grew.

They spent a few hours in the run yesterday in celebration of turning 3 weeks. They have been in the run all day today since it’s in the 80’s today. This weekend we will have nights in the 40’s again so they will be back in the brooder tonight. The brooder has done a great job and I really like the way it turned out.

It has worked great. The brooder was in an unheated garage and we had nights in the 30’s. The chicks kinda went back and for between the Mama’s heater and the K&H, gravitating to the Mama’s they grew.

They spent a few hours in the run yesterday in celebration of turning 3 weeks. They have been in the run all day today since it’s in the 80’s today. This weekend we will have nights in the 40’s again so they will be back in the brooder tonight. The brooder has done a great job and I really like the way it turned out.
That's so awesome to hear, thanks so much for the update, appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom