Crime isnt up. My roo is crowing

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
I was sitting here in peace and quiet. Working on Festive Chicken stuff when I hear what sounds like a person being mugged. Or murdered.
We live in a decent neighborhood. But still. A city. So one never knows.

I went outside to the porch to look to see if their is a body on the sidewalk or such and hear it again. Coming from my back yard.
roll.png

He made the awful noise in front of me. So I know it is him. Not a small dog having its neck wrung. Not some poor person getting murdered. My boy is crowing.. if one could call it that.

So I sat outside for a bit and teased him about it. Ok, more like shamed him over such a sad pathetic and down right scary crow. I could tape it and use it for Halloween. Its kinds scary.

He hasnt made a peep since I left the back yard.
But i was dreading this. The crowing. I hope he stays "quiet" Or that people think it is someone being murdered or such, like I did.
Honestly though he is no louder than the neighborhood dogs.. and they bark all night long.
We will see

We have a local 'boy' like that. He's the survivor of a free-range flock decimated by the foxes. Of course out where we live everybody laughs, we know he's still alive. Maybe your roo will mature with a more pleasing call?
lol.png

It does seem strange to me that people can have several dogs that bark themselves silly day and night, and this is legal. But get a rooster by accident and oh boy! People are up in arms! Odd.

Regarding the funny sound of your boy's crow, I have a very late-blooming cochin rooster who's been practicing his crow for two months now and it still makes me laugh every time I hear it. He's a huge, beautiful boy, but he sounds so pathetic when he does his little half-hearted crow.
lau.gif

I have a bantam cochin rooster that "trills" when he crows. A four note "Erk a Derk~~~~~~~~~ Err. He's been doing it for 2 months, guess that's gonna be it. At least I can tell which one he is from the other boys!

LOL, great storys !!!! My 6 month old silkie rooster decided he was gonna give it a try yesterday while hubby and I were outside building the new coop, we hear this "hoooooonk hooooonk" so we looked at the dirt road to see if there was a car honking in till we relized it was him, all the other chickens ran in to the coop for cover and he looked pretty scared himself, silly boys !!!!!

So now I have a dog that thinks she's a chicken (well, chicken master) and a chicken who thinks he's a car, LOL

Got a few more roosters in there that arent crowing yet, wonder what they will think they are (my luck a dog or a train)

My buff orp roo Moose is a big strapping boy with the most pitiful sounding attempt at crowing ...
roll.png
It has been a few months now, and he's not made any improvement, unlike the barred rock roo who I would have sworn was a baby goat. I looked for 15 minutes for a baby goat (and no, we don't have any goats, but last summer two miraculously appeared out of nowhere; my neighbor's son took them into his flock) and finally discovered it was that silly BR rooster trying to crow. He has improved his technique and has a rather respectable crow now, but he's still outdone by the Wyandotte roo and the RI roo. The RI roo is alpha, and has the deepest toned crow.

lol.png
I'm out of town and my little rooster just crowed for the first time this morning! Without me!!! I didn't hear it, but my DH did! I so wanted to hear his first crow!
sad.png

But...while I'm away my DH is taking very good care of all of the animals and learning so much!
sad.png
He never touched a chicken till lastnight when he put the roo up for the night!

He's so cool...I love silkies!
love.gif

Rhett&SarahsMom :

I was sitting here in peace and quiet. Working on Festive Chicken stuff when I hear what sounds like a person being mugged. Or murdered.

I went outside to the porch to look to see if their is a body on the sidewalk or such and hear it again. Coming from my back yard.
roll.png

He made the awful noise in front of me. So I know it is him. Not a small dog having its neck wrung. Not some poor person getting murdered. My boy is crowing.. if one could call it that.

So I sat outside for a bit and teased him about it. Ok, more like shamed him over such a sad pathetic and down right scary crow. I could tape it and use it for Halloween. Its kinds scary.

But i was dreading this. The crowing. I hope he stays "quiet" Or that people think it is someone being murdered or such, like I did.
Honestly though he is no louder than the neighborhood dogs.. and they bark all night long.
We will see

LOL your neighbors would rather someone be murdered than have a rooster on the block?
lau.gif

The first time our rooster let out a baw baaaawwwkk when he saw the cat walk into the room, my mom and I were rolling over laughing. He sounds like a person screaming LOL He scared the cat!​

Rhett&SarahsMom :

roll.png

We will see

Hey! I have a nephew name Rhett. Not very common at all. Cool name for a cool kid.​

Quote:
Chug a chug a chuga
lol.png

Our Brabanter pullet honks just like a duck!
And our rooster sounded like he goobled sometimes and to add to that, he only has a cock-a-dooooo. He doesn't have a doodle
lol.png
Poor boy all the other roosters are gonna make fun of him! He has a new home now but I asked his new mama to let me know if he ever gets his doodle
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom